Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a new hedgehog owner, i adopted my fuzi about a week ago, and Ive noticed that she recently has these little pimple-like things on her face, and feet, she doesn't have quill loss, her stools look normal, and when i touch them she doesn't seem to mind, i have changed what food i was giving her yesterday to see if she may have been allergic, so if anyone has any ideas please say so

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Does she scratch at them?

It may be a staph infection. They start out as little pin point sized red marks and enlarge to little round sores. Ones they start to scratch at them, the get bigger. Typically they start on face, legs and under the chin.

What type of bedding is she on? If any type of shavings or carefresh, put her on cloth liners. A pillow case, baby receiving blankets, or a t-shirt will work. NO towels and make sure there are no loose threads or loops on the fabric. You can also buy polar fleece and cut to fit. Wash and double rinse. It could be a bedding allergy which will go away as soon as you switch.

Changing food quickly is not a good idea as it can upset their tummies. Was she on that food before you got her? It's best not to change foods for a week or two after they come to a new home. Have you given her any treats?

I'd stick with whatever food she was on when you got her and change to liners if you aren't already using them. If the spots increase in number, a vet visit is in order. Staph responds well to Antirobe and best of all, they seem to like it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks a bunch, her spots are cleared up, and i got her some high quality fleece for bedding, it must have been her diet, because i transitioned it [as not to upset her too awfully much] and they went away almost immediately

i have another question though.. when im holding her, sometimes she'll crawl somewhere, such as my armpit [ouch], place her head in it,take a big deep breath, and squeal, not as if she's in pain, it's weird

·
Registered
543 Posts
She likes your stink. My one girl likes my pits too. Nothing to worry about. Mine however doesn't vocalize her excitement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol it's pretty weird, she also is odd because i have a little igloo for her.. but she prefers to sleep under her wheel out in the open

1 - 5 of 5 Posts