Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in between hedgehogs, and have decided that now is an excellent time to design a new cage.

Our last hedgehog, Ned, seemed to enjoy tunneling and burrowing under blankets on the couch, and liked to sleep covered up by a liner, or in a PVC tube that connected the two halves of his cage. I have heard elsewhere that many hedgehogs like to sleep like this and feel secure in such conditions, and had the thought that the new cage could incorporate more such space. To that end I bought one of those plastic bins which are designed to fit under a bed, to comprise the lower portion of the cage. The upper portion is a 29-gallon plastic bin, connected via a PVC pipe. I have been busy knitting liners for the pipe, to provide traction. (Ned was always crazy to climb all over me when I wore large gauge knit sweaters!) I have attempted to provide for good light and ventilation on the lower level; the cage will eventually sit on a table, near a sunny window. Still to be added is a thermometer, food and water dishes, hedgie bag, etc.

I'd like some feedback on this design. The bottom bin is 5" top to bottom. Is there anything inherently wrong with such a low ceiling? At this time it would be very easy to modify to a more traditional design. Any design flaws I should be aware of, or improvements I can make?
[attachment=1:2ntw9cdo]DSCN0854.JPG[/attachment:2ntw9cdo]
[attachment=0:2ntw9cdo]DSCN0855.JPG[/attachment:2ntw9cdo]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I think the cage looks good but knitted items are not hedgehog safe unless under supervision.
You may find that the wheel bounces too much attached to the bin. I suggest adding some extra stabilization around where the wheel attached to the bin. You can try using the using the pipe part of the base which will spread the load out over a larger area. Put the pipe on the outside of the bin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know about the knitting. Thanks!

I had the wheel attached in the same manner to the side of our old cage, and it was very solid. The point of attachment has two very large washers (appx. 2" in diameter) on each side of the plastic which stabilize it nicely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts