Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,
I am a new hedgehog fan and have been researching their care for a while now. I am very serious about getting one and a very responsible pet owner.
As with all pets diets are debatable and often leave owners responsible for making a big decision on their own. I am a vegan (someone who doesn't eat or use animal products such as meat, cheese, milk, fur etc). I have other animals who I feed non vegan things such as milk, honey and insects. However, none that eat meat.

My question is if an insectivore/vegetarian diet is sufficient for a hedgies. This means fresh veggies daily and insects such as meal worms, super worms, crickets and dubia roaches (high in protein, low in phosphor). This also means no cat food or meat.
What are people's opinions on this?
A hedgehog in the wild eats vegetables, insects, lizards and mice, not chicken or tuna. I understand people use cooked meat as a protein supplement but is this necessary with a sufficient amount of insects?
Thank you everyone!
-Squid

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I agree it is not right to fed carnivorous animals vegetarian diets. I am researching and contemplating it with hedgehogs because they are insectivores not, carnivores and in their natural habitat they would not consume meats with such high protein/fat levels.

Thank you for the cat food referral, I appreciate it. I will continue researching. Any information/opinions are much appreciated.
-Squid

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to "force a vegan diet" on him. I am considering and researching not feeding him MEAT such as beef, pork and poultry.
I am going to call some vets and the zoo today and look into that legume cat food.
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.