Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just modified my hedgehog cage this weekend and added a loft with a ramp. I made sure to enclose the ramp with walls so that my hedgie doesn't fall! My one question is how do I get him to start using the ramp and loft? I read that some hedgehogs just won't use them, but is there some way to test to see if he will actually climb up there to use it? I don't want to keep it in if it's not going to get any use...

By the way I've only had my hedgie for just over a week, so he is still new at home and isn't completely comfortable yet.

Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You could also put some extra food or treats in the loft and see if they are gone but if he's going to use it he will when he is ready.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I recently added a 3rd floor loft to my hedgies cage and have yet to see him use it for anything. He often runs up there just to take a look around though. When I first built his cage I had everything (wheel,food,water,bed) on the bottom floor and he would never go up to the 2nd floor. Then one night he was up there sleeping! and he sleeps on the second floor every night now. I think it just took him awhile to realize that the extra space was his! Since you've already made it and put the loft up I would leave it, even if he doesn't seem to use it. You never know, one day he might decide it's the coolest place ever!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I got up this morning and to my surprise there were little poopies all over the loft! I didn't have anything up there at all, but he managed to find it and use it as his potty!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts