Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After making a post about the possibility of mites affecting my Kiwi (2.5 month old hedgie, she is still quilling), I've taken her to the vet and they have ruled out mites but have given her the appropriate amount of Revolution to prevent mites and worms/parasites.

It has been around 6 days since the Revolution treatment and I find that Kiwi is still scratching A LOT. The redness around her arms and legs are still noticeable and the area where quills become fur are red.

Today I noticed that on her skin where the quills are she has an area that is evidently red.

What could this be?

Should I go back to the vet and ask for more Revolution? Is she allergic to anything in her bedding? (CareFresh Natural) or cloth? Is there an allergy to her diet that I should change?

Are there any clothes that hedgehogs might be allergic to?

I'm VERY worried because if it were mites, the Revolution would have already shown results in the 48 hours, but it has been 6 days and i've only seen these dry skin symptons increase.

PLEASE help! I'm extremely worried as I am a first time hedgie owner :???:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've added some photos, I'm very concerned as to what could be happening.

She has been scratching lots during the night when she is active to the point that (the image behind her ear) her skin is becoming so red i'm worried it will be raw soon.

ANY responses would be greatly appreciated.

**Edit** I 've just given her an oatmeal bath for the first time to see if this will help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would switch her off the Carefresh first to see if that helps. Carefresh is known for causing dry skin problems because it's so drying.

As far as cloth stuff, what kind of detergent are you using? I would make sure it's something with no scent or dyes. You could also try washing everything with just a bit of white vinegar & no detergent to see if it helps.

If none of that helps, I would go back to the vet to see whether it could be a skin infection. It could be a fungal infection.

I agree, it doesn't sound like mites is likely if the Revolution isn't helping at all yet. I don't think diet allergies is likely either as that doesn't seem to be too common with hedgehogs from what I've read/seen. It's much more likely to be an environmental thing or skin infection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the reply, I am now having her just on temporary paper towels so I am able to disinfect and clean her cage everyday until she heals... I will definitely get her off Carefresh after she's done though.

I haven't been washing her cloth with any detergents yet, this is because i noticed her skin was getting sensitive already so I didn't want to risk it. I have been washing it with boiling water to disinfect and clean the blankets.

I have been cleaning all her cage everyday with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution to disinfect.

My vet in insisting that if the Revolution isn't work, the next step will be to do a skin culture. Last time at the vet we did a tape test and mites were negative.

It's good to know that it is unlikely to be diet allergies.

What are the precautions to take if it is a skin infection/ bacterial problem?

I would switch her off the Carefresh first to see if that helps. Carefresh is known for causing dry skin problems because it's so drying.

As far as cloth stuff, what kind of detergent are you using? I would make sure it's something with no scent or dyes. You could also try washing everything with just a bit of white vinegar & no detergent to see if it helps.

If none of that helps, I would go back to the vet to see whether it could be a skin infection. It could be a fungal infection.

I agree, it doesn't sound like mites is likely if the Revolution isn't helping at all yet. I don't think diet allergies is likely either as that doesn't seem to be too common with hedgehogs from what I've read/seen. It's much more likely to be an environmental thing or skin infection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, and I think it could also be some sort of allergic reaction. If so, maybe talk to your vet about a light steroid.
My vet is insistent that it is mites... she said the next step to take is a skin culture, then if not, an oral medication, and if nothing works, ivermectin which I have read all the terrible stories about and not willing to give Kiwi this.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If you can, try to find a different vet for a second opinion. I have never heard of ivermectin working when revolution didn't, so I wouldn't allow the vet to give Kiwi the shot.

Hopefully the skin culture shows you what's going on. If not, you may want to try feeding Kiwi foods that she doesn't usually eat. If the problem clears up, she's allergic to something in her kibble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've added some photos, I'm very concerned as to what could be happening.

She has been scratching lots during the night when she is active to the point that (the image behind her ear) her skin is becoming so red i'm worried it will be raw soon.

ANY responses would be greatly appreciated.

Edit I 've just given her an oatmeal bath for the first time to see if this will help.
We have had our little hedgie for just over a month now, she is not our first, however last week I bought her the Carefresh natural brown bedding. Up to this point I was using the white stuff that we had left over from our past hedgie. Well then
all the sudden I noticed she has the exact same redness behind her ears down her sides and a bit on her forehead! I'm going to change her bedding immediately and see if that helps. Did it help yours?

·
Administrator
3,707 Posts
Please start a new thread for your little one. This thread is from 2016. The OP has not visited the forum since 2017. It is unlikely you will get a response. But if you start a new thread you are more likely to find others who can provide guidance, or have possibly seen the situation that your little one is going through. With that noted, if the bedding change doesn't clear it up, seek veterinary advice. Allergies, mites and bacterial infections are all possible causes of red skin as described by the OP & by the image you provided.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts