Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably doesn't belong in this forum, but I couldn't find one that fitted in the health section.
So I have a little hedgie who's about 1 year and 2 months now, who hasn't been a bit of bother and has a good bill of health; ate her food, exercised a lot. I keep her cage at the right temp and she gets enough day light.

For a couple of days she hasn't been eating her food properly, she's had a nibble of one or two bits then hasn't ate any more than she usually would. I thought she was just being a little bit fussy so I switched between chicken and veggies and even offered a little GoKat in the mix too. Last night I got her up and noticed her stomach was swollen and her sides, almost as if she was pregnant.
Concerned, I took her to my local vets and we both agreed that she seems well, there's no mucus, no blood, her pee is fine because she went on the table, she was lively and active and didn't cry when you handheld her.

He thinks it could be a bladder issue, though has suggested that it is more likely a sign of false pregnancy and has recommended spading her. We're having an x-ray first thing on Monday morning first to see what the swelling is.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue before?

Can you tell me more about false pregnancy? I have heard about it in small mammals before and even cats, and the vet has recommended that the spade may only be required if the swelling/uturis is too large and causing complications which it seems to be as she isn't running on her wheel. He has recommended though needs to research further into hormonal treatments instead.

How do little hedgies react when being gassed out to sleep?

Has anyone had this procedure done before?

Just anything, I'm very concerned! :(

I don't want to get anything done if it isn't really necessary, thought it seems to be causing her complications like running sometimes and is obviously putting pressure on her as she isn't eating.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I dunno if this helps, but my hedgehog went completely off of his food due to a bacterial infection in his intestine. As far as I'm aware, it would be rare for a spontaneous phantom pregnancy unless she was exposed to a male?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should have explained it better. I've looked into it and false pregnancy is a term used when their hormone levels are too high and it causes swelling which makes them look pregnant.

I doubt it could be an infection in her intestine because she seems otherwise fit. The vet said she seemed like a very healthy little hog, just it was very unusual although if it is swelling it could be causing her discomfort and problems in later life.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
If one of they don't come along tonight, give a ping to Nancy, Kalandra, or DesertHedgehogs as my best-guesses as to who would be most likely to have experience with spaying, but won't necessarily click on the vague subject title.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I've sent out a message to the more health-experienced users, particularly the breeders who are more likely to have had spaying experience, to check out the thread. You've got an unusual enough problem that my "a few months experience supplemented by obsessive archive-reading" doesn't really cut it.

We recently had a thread about optional-spaying that includes a bit of discussion of techniques, risks, and links to the archives that might be helpful to you.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I've not heard of a false pregnancy being a reason to spay but can't answer with any first hand knowledge. I did have a girl with a false pregnancy. I'd bred her and she had all the symptoms of pregnancy but never any babies. Nothing needed to be done and she lost the weight.

Did the vet check her pee for bacteria and microscopic blood that may not be enough to see with the eye?

For her to be not eating, she's got something going on. Usually with a urinary infection, by the time it is bad enough for the to quit eating, you would be seeing blood. I say usually that is the case, but every hedgehog is different.

Once you get the results of the xrays it will help decide where to go from there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the vet checked her urine and stool but he said they appeared to be okay and with a urine check that seemed fine too. She's getting an x ray on Monday where they are checking her bladder and uterus. She hasn't been bred, and won't due to lack of pygmy breeders near me.
It just seems really strange. Apart from the obvious swelling that's causing her discomfort, he otherwise thought she was a very healthy little hog.

I will repost with the results, but if he believes it is worth spading her to give her more comfort and stop problems later, if think all of us would want to do it then as she will have to put out for the xray - which in itself is very concerning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts