Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an update from my last(and first post), no, my parents are still unwilling to take my hedgehog to a vet because "he's old and he's going to die sooner or later anyways." I did convince them to buy a syringe so I can start syringe feeding him though. I think my hedgehog is having respiratory infections, since he's been having a runny nose and doing weird breathing sounds. He's still really active though. Despite not eating a lot ...is there anything I can at least do at home to try and help him?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Keep him warm at all times and give him as much love and time as you can. They say vitamin C is good for the immune system, but I don't know how hedgehogs process it. I'd feed him mealworms or crickets that ate pepper and carrot, this way he might get access to some vitamins :) I read every now and then that parents often don't let the hedgehog owner to the vet... just how much might a treatment cost, if I may ask? I've only taken my hedgehog to a regular check-up before because he's only 10 months old, it cost me 40 Euros here in Germany.

Edit: you are saying he's syringe fed though, so insects aren't an option, I guess? :( Although if you don't find it too morbid, one could make like an "insect porridge" from frozen insects that were grown on vegetables? I am not a fan of feeding veggies directly, but I heard that cooked carrot and some apple does not hurt their stomach and they can be made soft :) I'd try to convince my parents to take him to the vet at least once more. Hedgies might even live 7 years when well taken care of. Wishing all the best to you and your little one!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep him warm at all times and give him as much love and time as you can. They say vitamin C is good for the immune system, but I don't know how hedgehogs process it. I'd feed him mealworms or crickets that ate pepper and carrot, this way he might get access to some vitamins :) I read every now and then that parents often don't let the hedgehog owner to the vet... just how much might a treatment cost, if I may ask? I've only taken my hedgehog to a regular check-up before because he's only 10 months old, it cost me 40 Euros here in Germany.

Edit: you are saying he's syringe fed though, so insects aren't an option, I guess? :( Although if you don't find it too morbid, one could make like an "insect porridge" from frozen insects that were grown on vegetables? I am not a fan of feeding veggies directly, but I heard that cooked carrot and some apple does not hurt their stomach and they can be made soft :) I'd try to convince my parents to take him to the vet at least once more. Hedgies might even live 7 years when well taken care of. Wishing all the best to you and your little one!!
Thank you for the advice! I'm think treatment here costs around 50~100+ dollars, since my dogs' treatments are also really expensive, so my parents think its kinda not worth it. I'll try to give him some vegetables and insects and see if he eats it

·
Registered
135 Posts
You could always call the veterinary centers around where you live and see how much they would charge. I know vet care does tend to be more expensive for exotic pets, and tests they may have to run only add to that cost, but it could be worth trying and seeing how much it costs. Maybe there's a vet clinic that's relatively cheap for exotic pet care. It sucks that your parents don't think it's worth taking him :( I hope he's okay!

·
Registered
559 Posts
That is a really shameful thing for your parents to do. I hope they understand that depriving an animal of vet care when they need it is a form of animal cruelty - and it is punishable by law in many states & counties. I understand some folks like your parents just grow up the mentality that small animals somehow don’t matter, but it doesn’t make it any less of an absolutely horrible thing to do nonetheless.

Unfortunately your hedgehog needs veterinary attention, or he is in a very dire situation. Chronic untreated URI can not only kill an animal, but if they do pull through they can result in permanent organ damage.

If he has a respiratory infection he needs antibiotics - that requires a vets prescription. I hope your parents come to the realisation sooner or later that they are being cruel and causing your beloved pet unnecessary suffering. A prescription of antibiotics won’t cost an arm and a leg, and are typically relatively inexpensive.

It’s not your fault, so I don’t want you to feel bad - it’s solely on your parents. But a respiratory infection is not treatable at home. Thyme tea used to be popular in the small rodent community, but it is not a treatment - it simply masks symptoms. However, it could be something you could look into to help ease your hogs suffering. Don’t give up on convincing your parents to bring him to the vet though!

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
636 Posts
That is a really shameful thing for your parents to do. I hope they understand that depriving an animal of vet care when they need it is a form of animal cruelty - and it is punishable by law in many states & counties. I understand some folks like your parents just grow up the mentality that small animals somehow don’t matter, but it doesn’t make it any less of an absolutely horrible thing to do nonetheless.

Unfortunately your hedgehog needs veterinary attention, or he is in a very dire situation. Chronic untreated URI can not only kill an animal, but if they do pull through they can result in permanent organ damage.

If he has a respiratory infection he needs antibiotics - that requires a vets prescription. I hope your parents come to the realisation sooner or later that they are being cruel and causing your beloved pet unnecessary suffering. A prescription of antibiotics won’t cost an arm and a leg, and are typically relatively inexpensive.

It’s not your fault, so I don’t want you to feel bad - it’s solely on your parents. But a respiratory infection is not treatable at home. Thyme tea used to be popular in the small rodent community, but it is not a treatment - it simply masks symptoms. However, it could be something you could look into to help ease your hogs suffering. Don’t give up on convincing your parents to bring him to the vet though!
I appreciate your anger here, but terribly shaming the parents might not be the best way to approach this. If the parents are paying for the procedures and everything and the hedgehog is a senior, it might be the best option for them to let him go in peace if they cannot financially afford to go to a vet and pay for lots of expensive care that wouldn't help in the end. I know sometimes it is super frustrating when an animal needs care and can't get it, which can be inhumane. If the hedgehog is young and this could be a simple fix, absolutely take him to the vet. @Ruthemium I would encourage having a polite conversation with your parents as soon as possible and preparing something like a pros and cons chart and coming in prepared and professional. Also maybe research different vets in the area to compare prices and tell them about your situation. One may be able to offer you some at-home remedy solutions that will be less expensive. Also offer to work around the house, do chores, etc to pay for the appointment yourself. If all else fails, make it clear to your parents that you care about your pet and want to be responsible and keep them healthy and with you as long as they can.
I wish you the best of luck!!
Again, this is all just my opinion and I am in no way saying that denying an animal proper treatment is ok. Sometimes it's just not an option for everyone :)
Have a good evening!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I appreciate your anger here, but terribly shaming the parents might not be the best way to approach this. If the parents are paying for the procedures and everything and the hedgehog is a senior, it might be the best option for them to let him go in peace if they cannot financially afford to go to a vet and pay for lots of expensive care that wouldn't help in the end. I know sometimes it is super frustrating when an animal needs care and can't get it, which can be inhumane. If the hedgehog is young and this could be a simple fix, absolutely take him to the vet.
If the hedgehog was senior and it was a vets opinion that the best thing for him was to put him to sleep, then absolutely put him to sleep. However, that was not my point here. The parents appear to be denying the animal any veterinary treatment at all - which includes even bringing the little guy to the vet fo just see what the vet advises (whether this results in treating him or putting him down) - and are leaving him to suffer because they don’t see the point in bringing him, and view it as a waste of money. And that is cruel, which was my point. Again, this is not a treatment vs put him to sleep conversation - it’s about denying him vet care period (vet care includes euthanasia if it was advised).

The parents are of the idea that it’s simply not worth bringing him to the vet to pay for anything at all. A URI is also something that can typically easily be treated, and likely wouldn’t cost much more compared to an euthanasia fee. But they don’t seem to be willing to spend even just $50 to find out.

That’s where my disappointment in the parents have come from. Again, it is not that they’ve refused treatment - it’s that they won’t even bring him to the vet at all. They are adults, and should have never allowed this animal into their house if they knew they were going to refuse him vet care when the time came. Not the child’s fault - it’s the parents. And yes, they should absolutely feel ashamed for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the hedgehog was senior and it was a vets opinion that the best thing for him was to put him to sleep, then absolutely put him to sleep. However, that was not my point here. The parents appear to be denying the animal any veterinary treatment at all - which includes even bringing the little guy to the vet fo just see what the vet advises (whether this results in treating him or putting him down) - and are leaving him to suffer because they don’t see the point in bringing him, and view it as a waste of money. And that is cruel, which was my point. Again, this is not a treatment vs put him to sleep conversation - it’s about denying him vet care period (vet care includes euthanasia if it was advised).

The parents are of the idea that it’s simply not worth bringing him to the vet to pay for anything at all. A URI is also something that can typically easily be treated, and likely wouldn’t cost much more compared to an euthanasia fee. But they don’t seem to be willing to spend even just $50 to find out.

That’s where my disappointment in the parents have come from. Again, it is not that they’ve refused treatment - it’s that they won’t even bring him to the vet at all. They are adults, and should have never allowed this animal into their house if they knew they were going to refuse him vet care when the time came. Not the child’s fault - it’s the parents. And yes, they should absolutely feel ashamed for it.
Actually I tried persuading my parents to bring him to a vet again, and they bring up a pretty good point. My family isn't really well off, and my parents need to save money to pay for me and my sister's university fees(me going to art school being even more expensive than it already is). And I looked up information on exotic vets near my place and they had a lot of negative feedback saying how a lot of the owners' pets died a few days after they sent them to the place. It was the same for my aunt's guinea pigs too so I'm not really sure. Also I don't know whether if its currency difference or something but I know for a fact that animal vets definitely cost more where I live, since my dog's visit to the vet already cost $200, so I'm kind of hesitant as well.. I'll try to find more alternatives to help my hedgehog and get him to eat more. Thanks for all of your advices tho (to @Spikey_Floof<3 as well), I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I totally understand financial hardships. It happens. However that doesn’t mean your hedgehog has to suffer. I don’t know how bad the situation is for him, but he’s evidently uncomfortable if he is having breathing difficulties and requiring to be syringe fed and a hedgehog who is needed to be syringe fed is in a dire situation. If you call around a few different vets, some of them may even offer payment plans (whether you choose to euthanise or treat him if it’s an option presented) so you don’t have to foot the entire brill at once and can instead spread it over a period of time. I’m not sure how old you are either, but you could additionally try and help contribute to his vet care by doing yard work or something - or if you’re old enough, you could try and get a part time job.

I wouldn’t let bad reviews deter you from trying; unfortunately some people will leave bad reviews for vets when things don’t go as they expected - but it’s important to realise that a vet is never going to intentionally hurt your pet, and more often these bad reviews come from people who have been told something they don’t want to hear or who don’t understand the gravity of their animals situation. Especially small animals; things can take a turn for the worst so incredibly quickly & the easy thing to is is to blame the vet than accept what has happened. (Not saying vets aren’t ever to blame, but this would be a rare situation).

I’m not trying to be harsh here so I hope you don’t take anything I’ve said the wrong way. I know you’re trying to do everything you can. Talking to a vet may also help convince your parents to take him - not only for them to see the importance of taking them, but so they can see the bill they could be facing which won’t be excessive for a simple consultation and again, that payment plans are offered by a multitude of clinics.

Without the vet, you are very limited about what you can do which is the problem. There is no home remedy for pain or discomfort unfortunately :( You really just have to keep syringe feeding him as you are doing, and just hope he can pull through on his own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how's your fella doing? When I took my hedgy to the vet it was $81 for a scheduled office visit..they also did testing on him. Had to put him under..it was $260. Hope this helps. Good luck.
He's uh, he's not doing really well. Maybe its also due to his old age, but he lost all his strength in the span of a week. When I picked him up earlier, he didn't even react for a few seconds. ...I'm afraid it's too late for him. Thanks though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts