Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to check it over with my girlfriend because it's her pet but, I'd like to call her sweety only because thats what I say to her while I give her meds.

So, night 1 on the meds no blood and yesterday only a little blood about the size of a penny just after giving her the first dose. She's still a little congested this morning still sneezing and sneezing up snot. She's only on her 3rd dose though. Like I stated before though the vet wasn't too concerned about her congestion as she wasn't weezing when breathing or any other really bad signs.

She's seems to be doing good. She's a little bugger when I am trying to give her the meds though haha. At first she's all balled up for all of about 5 seconds then she starts flailing her little arms and legs like crazy. So, I gotta hold her with one hand and coax her to open her mouth too let me put the meds in. Once she gets the first squirt in it's pretty easy because she appears to love the stuff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
That's great news. My vet tells me to usually not expect a noticeable change until about day 4 of the meds.

I do disagree with your vet about not being worried about her congestion. If she's blowing up snot, she has a respiratory infection and needed to be treated. Would he not have treated her if not for the blood?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I believe he was still going to give her the meds he just was saying the infection hasn't got too bad yet and that he was more concerned with the blood as it could be a myriad of problems.

He suggested putting her under a general that day and giving her an x-ray. We opted to see if the meds would work first due to it being a multispectrum anti biotic with the hopes that it was just a urinary infection. Also I thought I saw someone on this site that its not good for them to take anesthetics while they have an URI.

The bleeding has stopped for over 24 hours now *fingers crossed* So hopefully that was the problem. The other problems sound a lot more serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*sigh* That didn't last long not even 30 minutes after I posted I spotted new blood after she got her self stuck between the frame of her wheel and the wheel. It wasn't very much at all but, it was still blood. I see 2 poops then a little bit of blood so, I am guessing she pee'd. I checked her for blood and that was a little bit on her fur not like the times before. I'm going to take her wheel out now as I haven't seen her use it I only seen her get stuck on it twice and it probably stresses her out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
I can tell you that an xray is probably going to be a waste of time. Xrays are not conclusive as they can show up normal and there still be a problem. Our Emma had xrays yet less than two weeks later what appeared to be a 2cm tumour was removed with her uterus. The tumour turned out to be endometriosis but it still didn't show up. Kenya passed what looked like pure blood and it was urinary. She was x-ray'd and things looked normal yet she passed stones.

I'd go for having a needle inserted in her bladder and urine drawn off and checked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I give the meds another day or 2? The blood isn't concerning me as much as before just because of the frequency and the amount. Im hoping thats a sign it was possible an infection and it's clearing up. If there is still blood in 1-2 days I'll get her to the vet for sure though. I don't see any spotting in her pen other then what happened last night before work so, it's been over 24 hours.

I noticed a wierd behaviour yesterday I never seen her do before. Before she went into her little home to lay down she grabbed a mouthful of her bedding and brought it in with her. Im guessing this is normal behaviour?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
By any chance is she building a nest?

Keep giving her the antibiotics for the length of time you are supposed to. Stopping them early can make the infection come back even worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh ya I wasnt gonna stop the meds I just was curious if it was ok to hold off a few more days before heading back to the vet because I am still finding a small amount of blood nothing like before. Just going to make sure she goes back again within the next 1-2 days if the blood continues but, she's on the meds for 2 weeks I believe.

Err haha a nest well she has a wool blanket already in her hut and I only have seen her bring one mouthful of bedding in there. Im guessing a next is an indication of babies? oh boy that will be fine Im just learning how to take care of her properly and then babies come! The vet felt her stomach a little bit but, like you said you very familiar with hedgehogs and you didnt even know yours was pregnant.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top