Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Wanted to give an update on the rescue I took in yesterday evening from FiaSpice (from her friend more precisely) see here here and here for full backstory.

Little girl is settling in well and is doing better than I had anticipated. I didn't handle her much yesterday because I wanted to give her quiet time to adapt to her new surroundings after putting down some clean liners and accessories in her bin. She came out for a bit in the late evening to sniff her new digs and munch on some food, I'm also happy to report no signs of diarrhea so far, all poops were normal.

When I handled her yesterday she wasn't much fuss and so far seems to have quite a sweet disposition. I got her out tonight for a bit longer and snapped some pics of her lump. She huffed often but never raised her quills and wasn't too squirmy considering.

The lump is a bit more mobile than I had first thought but seems to protrude more than what I had seen yesterday. I hope the fact that it's more mobile is a good sign. She doesn't seem to be much affected by the lump from what I've seen and seems normally active.

I have an appointment for her at my vet's Saturday morning, I'm looking forward to seeing what she will say after seeing Little girl. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she has decent chances with a surgery, if the prognosis is fairly good, I'm most likely going to have her fully treated. It's hard not to seeing how cute and sweet she is!

I'm a total sucker for an animal in need ;)

Without further ado, here are some pics of Little girl and her lump.

I'm currently referring to her as Little Girl as I want to give her a new name with her new chance. I'm just short of ideas right now lol! Actually, I call her "foofer" like I do my two other hedgies (Kiwi and Stella), I just can't help it, they're too cute when they huff and puff the first few seconds when I pick them up, Little Girl is the same. A sweet little foofer!

Name ideas are most welcome, I love the last pic of little girl on this post with her funny face :) Poor thing, I'm sure the last thing she wanted was for me to expose her like that, nevermind taking pictures of her in such a compromised position! ;)

Will keep updating!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: Update on rescue

"Ahava" is a Hebrew name meaning "cherished one." This little girl is surely cherished by this entire community and by you who moved mountains to give her a second chance.

"Chava" is the Hebrew name meaning "life." Well, is there a name more appropriate?

Anny, you are truly an absolutely amazing person. I cried when I first read the post about this Little Girl's situation. I have no doubt that the lov you give this girl, will fill her and give her the strength to recover!

·
Registered
764 Posts

I'm so happy to hear she's doing fine despise her situation and that dihareha is gone. I'm so relieved she's with someone that cares about her. I'm a sucker for rescue too, my new guy is from the SPCA. One day If I won the lottery, I'd love to rescue every hedgie in need in the area.

As for name that's great idea to give her a new name for a new chance. LyzziFall had good suggestion... maybe Lucky?

·
Registered
274 Posts

What a gorgeous little girl.

Anny you are a wonderful person. It's so nice to see you giving her a chance and its so nice to know she's in great hands and a loving home now. I really hope she makes better progress, and congrats on your new baby :)

I think a name like Faith would be great for her, as it symbolizes everything about the situation and about you :)

You're a star Anny.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Pipkin said:
What a gorgeous little girl.

Anny you are a wonderful person. It's so nice to see you giving her a chance and its so nice to know she's in great hands and a loving home now. I really hope she makes better progress, and congrats on your new baby :)

I think a name like Faith would be great for her, as it symbolizes everything about the situation and about you :)

You're a star Anny.
Oooh! I love the name Faith! I think it's perfect for her too!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts

She is beautiful and obviously a very nice little girl. I hope there is good news at the vet and the tumour can be removed easily. Sending lots of prayers for her. :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

I'm so glad that everything is falling into place with her.

Here's to hoping that she will get better.

·
Registered
106 Posts

well done you and hopefully the universe will reward you greatly for what you have done by the safe removal of the tumour and contined well beingof your lovely little girl :) good luck and I lookforward to the updates

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

What a wonderful idea for a name from Pipkin for this special little girl. I am still astounded by the goodness and selflessness of her new hedgie mommy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for all the support, it is very encouraging :)

She has a new name thanks to you! Miss Faith Ahava, I still call her foofers for the most part but Faith is quite fitting and I love that Ahava means cherished one. She is such a sweet girl and I'm already in love with the little bugger :D

Her appetite seems quite good, I offered her a bit of my hedgie's new mix yesterday along with the food she was used to and she was all over the new kibbles! Poops are still very normal and activity level is good. I can't wait to see what the vet thinks tomorrow when I bring her in, I'm really hoping she has good chances to be treated with a surgery.

I am now in the process of becoming a hedgehog rescue in Montreal. I can't take more than two rescues at a time but I want to be there to help if there is a hedgie in need.

Will give more updates after the vet appointment tomorrow, wish Faith and me some luck! :D

·
Registered
793 Posts

Good luck Miss Faith! *crosses fingers*

And many kudos to her new mommy, I hope you are showered with love and kindness in return for the love you give.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Just got back from the vet with Miss Faith Ahava.

As I had suspected she is in good condition other than the lump, all else looks great and we're going ahead with the surgery to remove her lump Wednesday morning! :D She was so good at the vet's office letting her get a good look (no gloves or anything) and letting the vet listen to her heart and lungs too and probing her tummy for other possible lumps. This vet has a hedgie of her own and has treated quite a few, all info she gave was on the mark with everything I've read up so far so I'm also quite pleased about finding a great vet for my hedgies.

It will give her more time that's for sure. The vet can't say what kind of tumour or abcess it is just with a visual look but given her general heath condition and super sweet disposition, I think it's very much worth having this surgery done.

More updates to come when the surgery happens next week. I'm happy to have this little girl in my family and give her the help she needs and a good home. I can't wait till she's healed up and quarantine period is over so she can get a full size cage in my hedgie room :)

Fiaspice: Thanks for that offer, much appreciated :)

:D :p :) ;) :cool:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I'm glad that things are looking up for her!

She can finally live the life of luxury and know that she will always be safe.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What a perfect name for a lovely little name. That's great news about the tumour and even better news that other than the tumour she's in good health, I'm just so glad there are people like you out there anny who gave her a 2nd chance and here's proof that she deserved it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts