Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We've noticed that for the last week or so Coco-Pop hasn't been eating as much as usual from her bowl - but if we offer her food she eats it happily.

We are also not sure if she might have a runny nose or not, what identifies a runny nose? You can't see any obvious discharge from her nose, but sometimes after picking her up there will be a little drop of clear liquid on her chin (could this just be from her puffing and hissing from being picked up?)

Sometimes she also makes a very quiet sortof popping sound when she is just sitting. Anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sounds like you're having the sample troubles I am with my hedgies! It sounds to me like she may have the beginning stages of a URI - Upper Respiratory Infection. You need to make a vet appointment ASAP to check it out.

If the nose is dripping, it sounds like a URI. It should be moist, but not dripping. The popping sound could be normal hedgie noises, but if it sounds congested or not normal for your hedgie it is also a symptom of a URI.

Often eating less is the first sign of an illness. If Coco-pop is not getting enough food, you will need to start syringe feeding. see these forums for how much and how to:

this one has people telling you how much:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4828
this one is about how to syringe feed:
http://hedgehogcentral.com/oralmed.shtml

Either way, if you think something is wrong, you need to see a vet. URI's can turn nasty very quickly so it's best to at least see a vet to rule out if it is one or not.

Also, if you're hedgie does have one and does get meds from the vet, antibiotics can cause eating to decrease even more -in which case you would need to syringe feed for sure. You can also pick up Royal Canin Babycat and put some kibble where she sleeps so if she is not as active, she can at least have some food near her. Fatty Liver Disease can set in in a matter of days, so making sure you're hedgie is getting food is important.

Antibiotics can also cause their stool to go green. You can buy acidophilus capsules or tablets, which can be opened up or crushed and a few pinches can be sprinkled on mealies or whatever your hedgie IS eating. This will help with green stool, and I've read they can help boost the immune system too.

Hope that helps :)

We are seeing the vet this afternoon for the same problems, 2 of my hedgies have very little appetite and are making congested popping sounds, and 1 of them has a normal appetite but is sneezing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for replying!

We noticed her nose was definitely running, so the vet put her on some Baytril for a URI. Coco-Pop definitely does not like syringes!! She goes mad trying to avoid getting her medicine!

She is definitely picking up after just 2 days, she is eating again so luckily she didnt have to be syringe fed :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts