Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seprated the girls yesterday. I put the larger one in the cage I got from the breeder as she is too big to escape. I had went to a cage sale at the local Humane Society and got a small animal cage that measured 24 x 18. ($5) It has a plastic bottom and very small spaced bars. I figured this would work as a temporary cage until I finished building the much larger one. The bars spacing is vertically up and down. So I do not know how she would have climbed up the side.

All that is in the cage is a empty tp roll, a stuffed bunny, the food and water bowl, and an igloo. The wheel is in the mail. ;) It does have Aspen bedding in it. I had planned to change to fleece tomorrow, but I had already bought the Aspen so figured I might as well use it.

Monday is my day and I am usually gone from 7am-7pm. I checked on, but did not hold the girls this am. They are still getting used to me and are mostly just annoyed with my presence. I gave them fresh food and water and then went to my college class.

When I got home from school the first thing I did was go check on them and the larger one was her normal "ball of fun".

When I checked on the smaller one I noticed she had a small cut on her shoulder area and one right at the front of her head. I am really perplexed as to what could have caused this. I checked the cage over twice now for any sharpe or uneven edges and found none. The plastic base is pretty high up the side so I am really unsure as to how she did this. I cleaned her up with a qtip and now that the little scab was washed off you can't even tell she had a scratch.

I put her in a tupperware container just to be safe. It is in the bedroom with me so I know the cats cannot get to her. Also the cats where in a completely different room then the girls. (my sons room). There is no way they could have opened the door, scratched the hedgie, and then came out and shut the door. My son was at daycare all day.

The only thing I can think is she tried to squeeze out the small bars and got stuck?? She would of had to have been standing on top the igloo to even reach the bars to get her head out.

I think she is ok. Anything special I should do for her? You can't even tell she was scratched at all now that I washes the little scab off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did put some neosporin on it, and I called my vet this am and she told me to just keep a look out for what Nancy desribed. So far she seems her normal self and everything looks good. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.