Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hedgie lovers,

I have a question for you. I have been thinking about a cheap way to extend my hedgie's living space.

My idea is to make a hole at the back of her terrarium so she can move towards an area behind it that is around 1m².

The only issue is that the external part will not be heated as her terrarium is, which is always around 25°C/77°F. This area will be the same temperature as the room that her terrarium is in. This room can become cold at night, especially in the winter.

Will my hedgie move towards the warmer section when she starts to feel cold? Or will she just stay in the cold section and go into hibernation?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Any additions to the cage need to be heat as well. Whether or not your hedgehog will move from the cold to the warm area when she gets cold on her own shouldn't be counted on and moving back and forth between the warm and cold can cause a hibernation attempt by itself. Is there a reason you wouldn't be able to heat the new area as well?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Could you get a heat bulb for the expansion? My Hedgie's main house is in a Cage indoor G.pig cage with lighting and heating attached and in winter i use a heat liner. She also has a play pen (collapsable puppy type play pen) which i put a microwave heat disc in and in winter i have an extra heat bulb. My first Hedgie did well with this, my newbie is jut settling in :)

Heat bulbs - I use ones designed for reptiles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Is there a reason you wouldn't be able to heat the new area as well?
It would be possible but since it is an open space it would be harder to heat it. I've attached a photo so you can see the setup. After we read your responses we thought about making a bit of a fake cage at the back (where the green mat is now) with metal play-pen grates, glass, and a towel on top for insulation. Then we can use a heat lamp and thermostat to heat it in the same way that we do the terrarium. Hopefully, it won't lose too much heat and the temperature of the two sections is around the same.

Thanks for your quick replies, if you see anything that could be better or have any ideas please let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you get a heat bulb for the expansion? My Hedgie's main house is in a Cage indoor G.pig cage with lighting and heating attached and in winter i use a heat liner. She also has a play pen (collapsable puppy type play pen) which i put a microwave heat disc in and in winter i have an extra heat bulb. My first Hedgie did well with this, my newbie is jut settling in :)

Heat bulbs - I use ones designed for reptiles
Thanks for sharing your setup!

Based on the replies, we decided to also make sure that extension is heated :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
You can use a 30 cm dome to direct and spread out the heat. Even if it's more open you will be able to more evenly heat it that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts