Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning only to find blood in my hedgie's cage. I looked him over the best I could (it's very difficult because he doesn't like for me to check his underside) and I found no source of the blood at all. There was a lot of blood on his fleece though, a little bigger than the size of a silver dollar. I'm very concerned. Both his urine and bowel movements are normal, but could it still be something internal? Please help :sad:

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Is the blood all in one puddle or scattered around? Is it just on the fleece, or any on his wheel? Where there any other stains around it?

If you can't find any other reason for it and he's acting normal besides (including activity, eating, & drinking), wait for a few days & see if it occurs again. He might've just scratched or cut a foot pad - they can bleed a surprising amount without leaving any sign on the bottom of the foot sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a puddle in the middle of his cage where he almost never goes and it was only in that one spot. And thank you for answering. I just hope my little buddy gets better soon.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sounds like it was blood in his urine. If that's the case he needs to see a vet.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
That does sound more like urine than a cut foot. A vet visit would probably be a good idea after all, since UTIs can be very painful. I'm not 100% sure (do not quote me on this), but I think I remember seeing on here that with UTIs, there can be blood in the urine one time, then not have it appear the next time, time after, etc. It can come and go a bit, but the problem is still there. Like I said though, not absolutely sure, so hopefully someone else can verify whether that's true or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blood on the glass side

I have my hedgehog in a 20 gallon low side aquarium and I found blood all down the one side like he was rubbing his side but nothing on the bottom of the of the aquarium . Checked him out and could not find the source of the blood now a week later after I had cleaned the glass find blood all down the side again, I'm Pretty sure it's a Young male maybe eight or nine weeks old and couldn't find any signs of blood on him ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts