Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I uploaded the night-shot videos of Riley to my computer and am currently editing them. His wheel (Flying Saucer) is really disgusting! Watching him run on it was just so gross (I've edited that out, btw) so I was wondering if he had two wheels would he possibly move to the clean wheel? In the movie he runs, takes a break to eat and drink, then gets back on, goes potty, runs, and repeat for several intervals. He was slipping and sliding by the time he was done, it was really sad and gross. Would he use a second wheel if it was provided? Does anyone else have two wheels?

I already have been popping in about an hour after their bedtime to clean the wheel if they've pottied on it but some nights I don't do that for various reasons. I always saw how gross the wheel was (Flying Saucers) but man, to see it actually in action is gross.

Suggestions? (besides stop watching the video, ha!)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know what you mean about the slipping and sliding. The final straw with the flying saucer for me was when Harley had pee all over the side of his face. I'm assuming he beefed it right on his face while running in it. The surface is just to slippery, even with the ridges on it.

The first few nights he had the new wheel i left the old one in just in case and it remained untouched. I think he was also too big for it... they aren't great for bigger hedgies. (But I'm not calling him fat! Just a big boy all around)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sounds like a great experiment - put two wheels in and see what happens.

I'm going to guess that after awhile, he'll settle on a more favored wheel and run on it pretty much exclusively. But it's only a guess... I'd love to hear how it turns out.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
leannem said:
I know what you mean about the slipping and sliding. The final straw with the flying saucer for me was when Harley had pee all over the side of his face. I'm assuming he beefed it right on his face while running in it. The surface is just to slippery, even with the ridges on it.

The first few nights he had the new wheel i left the old one in just in case and it remained untouched. I think he was also too big for it... they aren't great for bigger hedgies. (But I'm not calling him fat! Just a big boy all around)
What wheel do you use instead, leannem, may I ask? I had the purple-white one but it tipped over too easily. I loved the flying saucer ease of cleaning and the aesthetics of it but now I am considering changing it out. Or maybe offering a second option as I mentioned. Wonder if I would end up just cleaning two disgusting wheels per cage, ha! ughhhh.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was lucky and found a cake walk supreme on craigslist for $20. I had ordered one from Reaper but am getting a refund. I think he's still having problems so I wouldn't suggest ordering one right now. Keep an eye on your local classifieds...maybe you'll get lucky too!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have 2 wheels in Henry's cage as its pretty much the only thing he'll play with. I also originally bought CWS because i didn't like the way Henry ran on the FS wheel. But he still likes to go on the FS so he now has both.

The CWS is his favourite and most used but still uses the FS wheel most nights. For me it now means i have to clean 2 wheels in the morning instead of 1, but he loves them so i won't begrudge him! :D

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I always have two wheels available to Inky, his CWS and his FS. He seems to run more on the CWS but poop more on the FS. :lol: I have a total of 4 wheels for him: bucket wheel, flying saucer, cake walk supreme, and a comfort wheel. I plan on getting a spool wheel one of these days to try out because I have read conflicting information on them.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pssst...I can't find information on this spool wheel you mentioned. I keep coming up with salt-lick type wheels. Could you point me in the right direction? Google is usually my friend.

Hm...he uses the CWS but poops on the FS which is much easier to clean.....I'm bringing Riley over for a tutorial on how this works. hahahaha! THank you for the input.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
A spool wheel is one made by Vern Mills (not on this board). They have a mesh running surface, and cross bars (open on both sides).

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LizardGirl said:
A spool wheel is one made by Vern Mills (not on this board). They have a mesh running surface, and cross bars (open on both sides).
Found it, thanks. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts