Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, the water dish. It seems like Biscuit has a tendency to either tip over his water dish or drag something absorbent into it. I have kept his food and water bowls apart from each other to try to prevent this type of stuff, but it hasn't worked.

Also, I'm going to be taking me home for Thanksgiving, where my dad likes to keep the house at around 65 degrees. I'm going to need to have a heat source for him, either a ceramic bulb or a space heater. As of now, I'm leaning towards getting a space heater to warm up the room he will be in. What are the pros and cons of the two?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
15 Posts
In regards to the water bowl being tipped over. Mina kept turning her water dish over, so I bought her a reptlile water bottle like this one...
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/hedgiehut/online store/lixit water.jpg

I then used a small bungee cord to secure the bottle to the edge of the cage, because she was still attempting to knock it over. It's worked so far. ;)

I haven't had her put anything into her water dish...yet. I'm sure she'll try eventually. She's rather inventive and industrious. I woke up today to find a mealie stuck to the piece of coroplast I'm using as a makeshift lid over the unfinished loft area. How it got up there...I have no idea. I can just picture her shaking her head side to side "killing" the mealie. :shock:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Annabeth said:
I woke up today to find a mealie stuck to the piece of coroplast I'm using as a makeshift lid over the unfinished loft area. How it got up there...I have no idea. I can just picture her shaking her head side to side "killing" the mealie. :shock:
That's adorable. Mine usually has mealworms gone in one bite.

bamafan2112 said:
I'm going to need to have a heat source for him, either a ceramic bulb or a space heater. As of now, I'm leaning towards getting a space heater to warm up the room he will be in. What are the pros and cons of the two?
I have a water heater--not just the kind for showers. ;) I can't remember exactly what it's called (I won't be home to look for a few hours, but if you're interested I can probably post back tonight or tomorrow) but they sell them at places like wal-mart. Instead of having oil in them, they heat with water. You just plug it in and turn it on and it heats the whole room. (I actually can't turn it off the first setting or it's impossible to stand the temperature.) They do a great job at keeping the room a good temperature. The only thing I don't like about them is that the model I have doesn't have a thermostat on it so it's hard to get an exact temperature without some fiddling around with it. They're low cost though and they do a great job at heating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts