Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

One of my females gave birth to two sweet white babies 2 weeks ago.
I have a big cage and I separated the mom with the babies from the other female hedgehog I have (they grew up together and are calm around each other).

Hopefully you will be able to help me with the following:

1. When can i change the bedding from the cage? It is starting to smell especially where the mom keeps the babies - it hasn't been changed for 2 weeks and a half now. Found this info in a thread "Once the babies are born you won't be able to clean the cage until they're weaned so it will get stinky." - please confirm if it is accurate :D

2. I will wean the babies at about 7 weeks (i still don't know the sexes but will separate the males). If one of the babies is female I would like to keep it. Do you think I will be able to introduce the babies to the other hedgehog? Will it be in danger? When will it be safe to put them together?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS: I adopted the hedgehogs from another person and he had a male with them...the babies were a surprise to me but I get along with the girls well so I realized in time that one of them will give birth (thank God)

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Yes it's true you can't clean the cage until the babies are weaned. They can be weaned at 6?weeks of age.

Hedgehogs are solitary animals and aren't kept in groups. I would keep each in their ow cages. Another issue is you need a bare bare minimum of 4 square feet per hedgehog so a cage for three hedgehogs would need to be at the very least 12 square feet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts