Hedgehog Central banner

What do you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my mom is in the process of reserving me a hedgehog from Beach Bum Hedgehogs. But, I found a one year old hedgehog on Craigslist that looks beautiful and comes with a ginormous cage complete with accessories for only $120. I would drive and check out the hedgie and see what state of health it is in before I make my final decision.

What I would do if I get the second hedgie is modify its cage, because the cage is made with Chicken wire. I would find some plastic or something to cover a fair amount of the wire so the hedgie won't cut his feet on it. The ramp must go, so maybe a dryer vent wrapped around a dowel wold work as a ramp. Afterward, I would convert the bottom shelf into a cage for the Beach Bum hedgehog and attaching the bin I have now to the side so he has more room.
(Don't worry, I will NEVER house them both together. I will also try to make a new set of doors, so there will be two, one for the hedgie on top, one for the baby.)

So the main question for you experienced hedgehog owners is, two hedgies for a first time owner?
Good idea or a bad idea?
I have researched hedgehogs for over two months (even though I made a forum account not too long ago! I didn't even find the forums until 3 weeks ago!)

I know what types of food are best, I found a vet on the site that I have been to before with my Syrian hamster who needed stitches(I was 4 and my cousin wanted to see him, so we put him out with my sisters hamster, and my sisters hamster bit him open, lesson learned, do not put two animals out together![Service was great, he did an awesome job and cared real well for him!]), I have time to handle both hedgehogs for at least 30 minutes per day each, and I am aware of the vet bills.

Thank you. (Pictures of the two possible babies and the Craigslist hedgie below!)

Possible babies!
(This guy is reserved, but the name of the parent-in-waiting is unlisted, a clue perhaps?)

(Not reserved, but my second choice!)

Craigslist hedgie + Cage.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The only thing I'd really suggest is to keep them FAR away from each other for the first couple of weeks, for quarantine purposes. Just because you don't know what the adult might be carrying, and as a baby, the young one would be more susceptible to it.

But otherwise, it looks like you have things pretty well thought out. There are a few here who bought 2 as a first time owner. It's just a matter of having more to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Immortalia said:
The only thing I'd really suggest is to keep them FAR away from each other for the first couple of weeks, for quarantine purposes. Just because you don't know what the adult might be carrying, and as a baby, the young one would be more susceptible to it.

But otherwise, it looks like you have things pretty well thought out. There are a few here who bought 2 as a first time owner. It's just a matter of having more to do.
Thanks for the advice! the first thing I am going to do if I get the new hedgehog is to take it to the vet ASAP just to get him checked out.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I personally would recommend just getting one to start, and wait and see if the novelty wears off. If it does, I wouldn't recommend adding another hedgie. Maybe get the one that needs a home, and check back with the breeder later on?

I agree that the cage from the person on CL will need a lot of modifications to be safe, but shouldn't take too much work. Dryer vent is a good option for the ramps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Agreed start with one. And why not save a hedgehog in need while you can? They cage is nice and i bet you could fix all the stuff you need to fix easy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agreed what everyone else here has said. As set ups go the one the rescue is in is not horrible. It has food, water and shelter and at least enough room. So I'd pick either the baby or the rescue if I was you, but not both. Quarantining isn't always easy, especially if you are not in a very big house. I'm not sure how much money you have set aside, but many would consider a hedgehog to be a large investment. If both were to get horribly sick at the same time you would need to make sure you had enough money to provide the best treatment to both of them. Lastly, I believe you're under 18, correct? I'm not sure how much under 18, or how responsible you are, but the job of taking care of your hedgehog/s may inevitably fall on your mom some day (I'm under 18 too and this was something I had to work out with my mom and younger sister to help me with when I go to college in two years.) and you need to know that she can handle two, which she may or may not be willing to. Good luck with whatever you and your family decide to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, here is the update. I called the contacted the person on Craigslist and she already found a home for her hedgie. So now I am just going to get the baby from the breeder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm glad it worked out that way. You will get a LOT of support from your breeder, will have a good warrenty, and will have a hedgehog that you know is well socialized. After you are experienced, if you find a rescue, you could take that in, as often rescues have other issues. Then, being an experienced hedgehog person, you'll feel more comfortable taking in your rescue.

Helen Justis
www.sunshinequillhedgehogs.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts