Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I wanted to post some thank you pictures of my male and female hedgehogs who are now housed in two cages on fleece and using water bowls.

We have learned so much here at Hedgehog Central: that they should not be housed together, that bowls are better than bottles and fleece is WAY better than carefresh bedding. They are eating cat foods from the HHC list too.

Besides liners being better I had so much fun choosing bright cheerful fleece patterns as you can see in the pictures.

I have also started to give them flaxseed oil in their food and have rubbed flaxseed oil on my female's dry ears.

I have radiators and digital thermometers on order as I type.

OH and today is day 55 for our "we are not pregnant countdown". If I have remembered correctly they have not been alone together since May 10.

The sleeping hedgehog is my female Tanya (I lifted her little house). All the other pics are of my male, Lenny.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
They're both beautiful hedgies, and I'm so glad that you are taking care of them. Looks like they're getting the best of everything now, and I'm sure they're so happy! :D

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Congratulations...i just have one quick question...you mentioned that "they have not been alone since May 10" does that mean you're letting them be together supervised? If so that isn't a good idea as females are induced ovulators and just having them together can cause her to ovulate over and over, also it can take less than 5 seconds for a female to become pregnant....and its very frustrating for a male to be in contact with a female.

They are beautiful babies :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a question about the last post. Does that mean that a male and female should be nowhere near each other? I know that the females are induced ovulators, but what does
it take to induce this? My hedgies cages are very close to each other and at play time I have two large playpens that are side by side so sometimes they are side by side with two wire walls of playpens between them. Is this a problem?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clarification: i meant they have not been together since May 10th. They are completely apart at all times. But now I am reconsidering a cage expansion I was planning. I was going to add a third cage and divide it in half with a divider so each would have access to one and one half of a cage. Yikes! Sounds like I need to attach 2 cages together for each... Amazon is making a fortune off me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all. Except for dealing with poop events during foot baths or bonding time I am thrilled with both Tanya and Lenny and HHC. It is a steap learning curve to start but worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts