Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My hedgehog is 13 weeks and I noticed she is more huffy than she used to be. When I take her out, she loves to climb all over me and the couch then she usually settles down for cuddles and pets on her head and tummy. Lately, she started huffing a bit when I pet her. She will still climb around and then lay down but when I pet her she huffs. So I just let her lay. I took her to the vet recently because she had a lot of flaking skin and she is currently being treated for mites (although she did not have a skin test). She still seems a bit itchy though. So my question is, do you think her huffiness is related to her skin bothering her or do you think there is something in my approach that is making her huffy? She usually loves her pets but now she barely lets me pet her.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,015 Posts
It could be mites shes huffy from the mites, if shes being treated for it I'd wait until after the treatment is finished to see.

Itchiness and huffyiness can also be down to quilling, and being 13 weeks old I think its possible she may be. Quilling can make them not want to be touched even in a hedgehog who loves being stroked.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I think that is what is may be. It's just almost every time I take her out she's huffy so hopefully after the treatment she's back to her cuddly self.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My missus tiggy winkles who I have had a few months is doing about the same thing at 11 months. She lost a few quills so far and is very huffy(although she's naturally huffy as the last owner didn't handle her)... I'm hoping it's just quilling!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,015 Posts
When you look at the quills, on the skin you can see the new quills coming in, have a look this means its defiantly quilling.
It can make them itchy, and huffy and its not very comfortable for them.
When you give a bath next if still quilling you can mix a drop of olive oil in the water and this helps with making it more comfirtable for them, make sure you rinse all eccess oil off though so it doesnt cause any irritations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts