Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine is a turtle lover, and last night he was talking about how he was building a tortoise table for his tortoise. After goggle searching it, I think this could be really cool and stable for a hedgehog cage. It seems solid and sturdy and you could make it so the plexiglass on the side could slide out for easy cleaning...as long as the sides are high enough I think it could be awesome. Thought I'd share for any of you handy people out there!:

http://www.franksglassandscreen.com/apps/blog/show/19248570-turtle-table

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It looks very cool! I can't tell, is the top of the table shown a screen? A hedgehog would definitely need screen for the top, as well as ventilation vents or holes around the sides, I think. Would be a nice idea for people handy with tools & wanting to do something different, though!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually thinking of making the sides 16"-20"...If I did that do you think a top would be needed? And that would solve the ventilation. I like that it's sturdier than a c&c cage and it can fit in style-wise in with our family room...more so like furniture.

It'll give the husband something to do come spring =)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Some hedgehogs can be amazing escape-artists, so it's probably a good idea to go for a top just in case. Otherwise, your first indication that you have a climber would be to wake up one morning to discover little hedgehog managed to find footholds, get out, fall to the ground, potentially break limbs or have internal bleeding, and potentially then run/crawl off somewhere & hide so you can't even find them for an emergency vet-trip.

Yes, that's a low-probability scenario, but it's such a terrible scenario of misery for you & tiny hedgehog that, if it were me, I'd go for a top. I'm less concerned when people want to go no-top for cages on the ground where the potential fall-distance is a (still painful, but less instantly catastrophic) 10-12".

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
And to be honest, even no top wouldn't be ideal for ventilation, I think, especially with high sides. The main reason plastic tubs are recommended over glass tanks is that you can (and should) drill holes in the sides for added ventilation. Same goes for wooden cages like vivs and this kind of thing - even if the top is open, you should add in holes or vents in the sides to make sure there's enough ventilation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts