Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I brought my 3.5 year old girl to the vet to get looked at for a respiratory issue and was told she probably also has a tumor on her belly. They've booked an appointment for her to get x rays and a full exam next week and I'm not sure what to do. I thought she was gaining weight but now thinking it's a big tumor and beyond the physical exam I'm not sure if I should do more. She has poor eyesight and is so scared going to the vet , if they did x-rays to confirm what the vet found I don't know if I'd want to put her through the stress of a surgery and recovery if that was an option. The cost of the whole visit is quoted at $450-$620 depending on what they find and the money definitely isn't going to stop me from this if it was going to lead to something that could be done (spent $500 on tooth extraction for her earlier this year), I just don't know if I should do anything if a tumor is confirmed this way due to her fear and a difficult recovery. Any advice? I'd want to do everything I could to manage her pain and keep her comfortable.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,725 Posts
Did they address the respiratory issue or are they saying that they believe this tumor is causing that? If they are saying the tumor is causing the respiratory issue, the next question for the vet is what is the likelihood that the tumor is even removable and will give her a longer, quality life. They will tell you that they don't know until they do the tests (unfortunately).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brought her in for the respiratory infection and that's when the vet thought he felt a tumor and wanted me to make another appointment for her. It could be all related. I'll probably bring her in for everything to see, just feel like I know what the answer will be :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She curls up too much so not a good photo. She's taken a turn for the worse though and stopped eating/moving very much. I've been just making her comfortable the last couple of days and seeing when I should take her in for what will probably be her last vet appointment...I'm just gutted over this..she's gone downhill so fast. I thought I'd at least have another year with her but that doesn't look likely now. Just trying to really appreciate every moment with her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Unfortunately, based on my experience with hedgehogs and cancer, they rapidly deteriorate once they stop eating and drinking. I would discuss end of life options with your vet. It becomes an issue of quality vs quantity of life.

It is extremely hard decision to make but take comfort in knowing you’ve done the best you can for her and have given her a wonderful life during your time together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately she passed last week. She went downhill really fast and I could tell it was coming so I just gave her lots of cuddles. Definitely sad but at least I had those days to mentally prepare for it all.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top