Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I just got my first hedgie under a week ago. She is a bit over two months old. Last night I was giving her a foot bath to see if I could trim her nails (they were very long) and after I took her out of the water that I was letting her run in, (just a few cm deep because I did not want to scare her) she took a tumble. She was so happy to be out of the water she ran right up my front and over my shoulder before I could grab her. I hunched to try and flatten my back to save her, so I think she only fell about 2 feet. She hit the edge of the tub and I caught her before she could hit the floor.

Its been a good 12 hours now. She is pooping, eating, tunneling, drinking, and running on her wheel just fine, but last night when I went to check on her and this morning she was nippy. It might have been that I washed my hands before and she is not found of the soap, as I usually handle her after my bath. She does not usually bite from our short time together and even after the tumble she was cuddly. Could she just be tired? I have to admit I'm waking her up to check on her and last night I had her out for about an hour and a half.

Please give me some feedback. I'm so scared. I recently lost my dog to old age and on the same day a sick cat I was trying to rescue. I really cant handle any more loss right now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Check her tummy and look for dark marks or signs of bruising as this could indicate an internal injury. Check her legs back and feet for signs of injury. continue to watch food, water and running activities as you have been doing.
I think she is probably nippy from the unusual amount of disturbance to her sleep or possibly the soap.
If she continues to be nippy and you are stil worried then perhaps a vets visit to settle your worries would be in order. I am hoping more people will respond to you but I hope this helps in the meantime.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are no dark marks so far, and her legs seem just fine. I've been checking quite a bit, twice since play time, which is why I think she might be mad. She has not been biting me hard. I really hope she is ok. I'm really upset. I have to work all day and I'm almost in tears. I just want to be home with her.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to get ahold of a vet very close by and they told me that as long as she is doing all of her regular eating and activities she should be fine, but to watch her for the next 48 hours. I slipped back to my apartment during my lunch to peek at her. I did not try to lift her out but I checked around her cage for blood. There's nothing strange. She did huff at me, but I feel that's normal this early in our bonding. Honestly if she did not nip at me so many times I would not feel so concerned. Thank you for responding thus far by the way.
Is it normal for even a nice hedgie to nip if she is tired? Normally I only play with her at night, as I'm pretty nocturnal myself. But she bit at me when I took her out after a long play session to double check her, and then this morning at about 11:30 before I left.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am glad you called the vet for re assurance. Do keep an eye for any signs of bruising, especially in the tummy and back area.
Nipping can be a sign of them liking or disliking something new like lotion or soap or even laundry detergent. Our girl has nipped when she gets over excited by smells or when she is trying to move things around with her mouth. I have never had her bite because she was tired or grumpy, she usually just hisses and pops.
Some hedgies do seem to be biters and that is just what they do! It sounds like early days for you and your hedgie and perhaps this is part of her personality. Just keep on watching her like you are doing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It hasn't been an issue until the last 12 hours, but I'm hoping its nothing major and that she is not associating coming out of her cage with getting hurt now. I haven't managed to find any treats she will eat yet either to use as a bribe. :/
I will keep a very close eye on her.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far poop and pee are still ok.. but she is still being way more grumpy then normal when I pick her up. She is pinto and most of her is pretty dark, so I'm scared she is bruised and I cant see it. If she has bruising that isn't on her belly does anyone know how the vet would check for that? Also if there is internal bleeding is there anything to be done? I can't call the vet again until tomorrow. I'm so scared and upset.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She fell asleep on my lap and I managed to get a few pictures of one side. If the vet thinks I should come in at least ill have these to start with. Haven't managed pictures or the other side. I thought I would share them here as well. I'm sorry for posting so much, but I really am worried.
One picture is no flash so its a little dark. Is this normal pink tummy?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Calm down.

Think of it this way. You had a rough day, and finally, you're snuggled up in your bed, dreaming about a really nice vacation (or whatever your heart desires)...and your mom comes in, picks you up, turns you from side to side, tugs at your feet, then puts you back down. So you snuggle up, get all comfy, doze off to a different dream....and your mom comes in, picks you up, and starts all over. You'd be grumpy, right?

Hedgies take little spills all the time. You have to check them out and observe them, but you can't cross the line into paranoia that becomes detrimental. She's eating, drinking, and pooping normally. There are no signs of injury. Your vet says she's probably okay. And she probably is. So either take her to the vet for a check-up just to ease your mind or back off a little and return to the regular routine of bonding and resting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did mention that as a possibility writer. There is absolutely no reason to be cold with me. I love my pets. I recently just lost two on the same day. I have depression and anxiety. It was the temperament change with the nipping that made me nervous because I thought she could be in pain but she has only tried it twice since then. Also I only checked on her twice (plus peeking in on her to make sure there was no blood in her stool) and there's no way I'd tug on a stressed animals legs. I observed her running and let her unroll by herself to check out her belly.
The reason for the pictures is that I've only had her for a week, so I'm not sure what a healthy pink tummy looks like. I likely would not have posted at all, but some of the posts on this forum mentioned hedgies dying from even just a one foot fall. It made me really worried.
That being said I really do appreciate a response, theres just no reason to make me feel foolish for reaching out for help with a pet I'm not familiar with so please don't do that.

Just an update: I'm trying to get in with the vet today just to be sure, but its difficult because I work every day and shes only got openings while Im at work. However she is doing a lot better today when I checked out her tummy before I called the vet. I'm feeling a lot better about it now that she has been pooping properly for almost the full 48 hours. I honestly believe that she is just fine. Thank you very much phoenix for all of your support yesterday.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I did mention that as a possibility writer. There is absolutely no reason to be cold with me...
I am so, so sorry you thought I was being cold and trying to make you feel foolish. That wasn't my intent at all. Most of what I said was illustration. I was actually trying to reassure you and tell you that she's probably okay and that her temperament change was likely just a temporary reaction.

Her tummy looks okay to me, but I'm not experienced enough to say that definitively. In any case, I'm glad she seems to be okay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's ok Writer. :) I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. Things can be so easily misunderstood over the internet in writing.

I did manage to get her into the vet today. The tummy redness was just from her being a little bit on the warm side. She is apparently in perfect physical health. I'm so glad. She was really scaring me for a bit there. I'm sure she will be very frustrated from her trip though. Ill be sure to give her lots of rest now that my mind is at ease.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts