Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my two hedgehogs for four weeks now. I am learning so much from reading here.
I am keeping them at the proper temp, in big cages with CWS wheels etc. I have also read the link on proper cat food mixture etc.

But here is my problem... sometimes I get home to late to switch out the food and the water in the bottle. I have never gone more than 48 hours. I spot clean the wheel and have never gone more than 48 hours cleaning the wheel. Am I jeapordizing their health?

Also they each have an igloo. Should I have some kind of paper towels inside the igloos to make them more cozy?

Thank you!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi LarryT, thank you.

No they are not housed together. Would you believe I was told that they could be housed together because they were siblings. And they are male and female! The more posts I was able to read here the faster I ran out to get a second cage! Now they each have identical set ups that fill a good portion of my small living room. But they are worth it.

I will get fleece to put in the igloos. It seemed like they needed something to snuggle in.

I have read here about using fleece to line the cages. I would prefer to not have hedgehog laundry, I am already laundering reusable pads for my dogs with hedgehog washcloths thrown in. So I am using carefresh bedding. If you all tell me I am harming them I will switch to fleece in the future.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
How long were they housed together for(since you said you were told that you could house them together)? How old are they? Because the female may already be pregnant. It would be good to prepare for a possible pregnancy. Best to read through the Breeding thread, or PM Nancy or Hedgiepets.

Best is to cut the fleece into strips and stuff the igloo. They love to dig and burrow in fleece strips.

I use fleece liners as well, there's been a few posts recently about how carefresh was drying their hedgie too much and causing overly dry skin and then rashes. But if they're using it fine, and they don't eat the carefresh, then it should be fine.

What you have been doing so far seem fine. 48 hrs isn't too bad, and as long as they are still free fed kibble and has plenty of fresh water, then it's all good. ^_^

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've also heard that carefresh can be dusty.
I've never tried it though so I don't really know.

And if they end up not liking the fleece strips (my boy don't like them) I made him 2 little fleece blankies for his. (just small pieces of fleece cut to fit inside his house)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have water all the time and food all the time and I never go more than 48 hours changing and cleaning everything.

Ok, so I will get fleece strips for the igloos.

I will consider fleece for lining the cages. I'm already bagging up reusable pads for my two chihuahuas and laudering the pads in the laundry room of my apartment building without anyone noticing. Seems very similar to me.

I don't know how old they are. They were together in the store and were together in my house for about a week. The female weighs 254 grams and the male weighs 210 grams. They fit in one hand.

They have been to the vet and she said that she does not think the female is pregnant.
I will check out the gestation time though asap.

How many here use aspen bedding?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
hedgewawa said:
They have water all the time and food all the time and I never go more than 48 hours changing and cleaning everything.

Ok, so I will get fleece strips for the igloos.

I will consider fleece for lining the cages. I'm already bagging up reusable pads for my two chihuahuas and laudering the pads in the laundry room of my apartment building without anyone noticing. Seems very similar to me.

I don't know how old they are. They were together in the store and were together in my house for about a week. The female weighs 254 grams and the male weighs 210 grams. They fit in one hand.

They have been to the vet and she said that she does not think the female is pregnant.
I will check out the gestation time though asap.

How many here use aspen bedding?
I use aspen for some that dont like fleece but over all fleece is the best if your hedgie likes it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all. I want to do right by my two little hogs. I am in love with them already and want them to have the best.

Will let you all know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
If it has been 55 days since you separated them, then everything is fine. It's just waiting that 55 days that's a hassle.

Hoping for the best! ^_^

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will have to figure out the last day they were together. But I will read the pregnancy thread just in case.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
If I was a betting man and i am I would say get ready for some babies :eek:
I have heard many stories about someone getting a hedgie from a store and a short time later babies :shock:
Good luck hope everything goes well :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi LarryT, like I said, I will be ready for babies just in case...

Things are going good. I gave them mixed cat foods from the list here last night. They seemed to like the Chicken Soup one the best.

I also put a small paper towel in each igloo and they seemed to like that. Will cut fleece this weekend.

My little male was very active on his wheel and I got to watch him run and run, he is drinking fine and eating fine. He was at the vet for mites and his little scabs are all healed up. Yeah!

My female was out too. She ate and drank and ran on her wheel. She also liked the Chicken Soup kibbles the best.

We are coming along with the help of everyone at HHC.

Thank you, Faye

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You may want to remove the wheel from the female's cage, if it hasn't been 55 days yet. It's just a precaution, as pregnant mothers have always gotten their wheels removed. And especially when the babies get here, so she doesn't end up carrying one around and then run on the wheel, which can potentially harm the baby.

Another member, Ana had to play the waiting game awhile back. I'll see if I can find that thread.

*Edit* I found it! ^_^ http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1467

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
hedgewawa said:
Hi LarryT, like I said, I will be ready for babies just in case...

Things are going good. I gave them mixed cat foods from the list here last night. They seemed to like the Chicken Soup one the best.

I also put a small paper towel in each igloo and they seemed to like that. Will cut fleece this weekend.

My little male was very active on his wheel and I got to watch him run and run, he is drinking fine and eating fine. He was at the vet for mites and his little scabs are all healed up. Yeah!

My female was out too. She ate and drank and ran on her wheel. She also liked the Chicken Soup kibbles the best.

We are coming along with the help of everyone at HHC.

Thank you, Faye
Which chicken soup u feed?
My hedgeies dont seem to like the chicken soup light and was thinking of adding the Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Senior.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Immortalia. I will remove the wheel if need be.

What are the signs of pregnancey? Why is it such a mystery if she is pregnant...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LarryT. It is the Chicken Soup Lite as I remember. I will double check.

I have a food mix question: if they are picking out one food over the others in the mix how do you get them to eat more of the mix? I don't want them to eat one part of the mix and then be hungry. I'm confused.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
hedgewawa said:
LarryT. It is the Chicken Soup Lite as I remember. I will double check.

I have a food mix question: if they are picking out one food over the others in the mix how do you get them to eat more of the mix? I don't want them to eat one part of the mix and then be hungry. I'm confused.
That's a tough one that i can't answer :lol: will leave that one to the pros :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
try storing the other food in a ziplock bag with the chicken soup....this way the other food will begin to take on the scent and flavor of the chicken soup? It could also be a shap and size issue, in which case god luck, because untill you find a size and shape they like they just wont touch it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
hedgewawa said:
Thank you Immortalia. I will remove the wheel if need be.

What are the signs of pregnancey? Why is it such a mystery if she is pregnant...
I'm not too sure either lol Cause I'm relatively new to all this as well. But from what I gather from the breeders here, there's no real way to determine if your hedgie is pregnant or not. The only thing you can really do is wait out the days. There were some really good "quicky" fixes of advice given on that thread, just things to do as a precaution, for someone who has no experience with breeding. I hope it helps and I wish you the best of luck and hope there are no babies.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts