Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if there are any breeders in the US that breed for the dark hedgehogs such as Algerian Black and the true salt and pepper. We contacted one breeder in Colorado that we found a website for that specialized in the dark hedgehogs, but she is no longer breeding. We have seen a lot of dark grays, but never any blacks.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Black and Salt & Pepper are rare colors and are expensive. If you really want a hedgie with one of those colorings, be prepared for a hefty price tag.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are well aware of what one would cost as we know they are rare. Just need to be pointed in the right direction as we have had absolutely no luck. We thought we found a breeder, but as mentioned, they are no longer breeding.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Oops, sorry cyntarihedgie! Didn't read your post right I suppose.
Are you looking all over the country or just in your general region. I know it says US, but trying to help. :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The only ones I know of that had true algerian blacks are in CO and no longer breeding. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
So, if they are no longer breeding does that mean that the line will just disapear? :?: There are other people who have them? That would be a shame if they just went out like that.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hedgehogs die before reproducing, hedgehogs show up having genetic diseases, have undesirable temperaments... there are so many reasons why it would be a good idea to retire a line, or make it incapable of continuing. I think the particular hedgehogs that were so dark (and I think only Swartzie was a true black) were mostly retired and some placed in rescue homes. Those ones are generations old, most are passed...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I didn't mean they should just keep breeding them, I ment are there any other the same color somewhere else, or will this particular color just be gone now? I ment color not line. :oops:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nancy said:
The only ones I know of that had true algerian blacks are in CO and no longer breeding. Good luck. :)
This is the breeder we contacted that said they were no longer breeding. We have contacted quite a few breeders, who get the dark greys, but never any blacks. I would think, or should I rephrase to say hope, that someone would try to preserve a color that is so rare and sought after.

·
Registered
43 Posts
cyntarihedgie said:
Nancy said:
This is the breeder we contacted that said they were no longer breeding. We have contacted quite a few breeders, who get the dark greys, but never any blacks. I would think, or should I rephrase to say hope, that someone would try to preserve a color that is so rare and sought after.
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. :oops:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I sure that line is continuing with other breeders but perhaps has not produced anymore. There are numerous breeders there working together so I'm certain that line is not dead.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Nancy said:
I sure that line is continuing with other breeders but perhaps has not produced anymore. There are numerous breeders there working together so I'm certain that line is not dead.
That's good news! I'm completely in love with the picture of the Algerian Black on the color guide!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts