Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I go by Cain and my hedgehogs name is Dalton Jr. I've had him for little over a week now.
We had a rough start, I made a cage for him during work but it wasn't done in time so he had to live in a small container for a little less than a day. In that day, he managed to escape and jump of the bathroom sink and get his foot trapped as he hung upside down I can say that it was very traumatizing for the both of us me. He's my first pet ever and it's not your standard household pet.
I feed him cat food and I use meal worms for treats.
I'm stuck because he refuses to be held and all he wants to do is sleep. I know they're nocturnal but he doesn't use the wheel in his cage. He doesn't play with any toys and only stays in one part of the cage. I'll let him out and then he'll hide somewhere and sleep. I've tried to monitor what time he wakes up but it doesn't seem like he has a specific time. It's really concerning because the only time he'll move is when he runs away from me to hide somewhere in my room. He's not afraid of me. I see everywhere that they're active creatures but the most I've seen him run is when he tries to go under my bed to sleep when I'm not looking. I'll hold him for a bit and he wants to just run out of my hand half the time.
I'm really scared for his health and I'm debating to relinquish ownership. I want to be a good pet owner but I don't know what to do. I'd rather him be with an experienced owner with his temperament. I don't want him getting sick because I don't know how to take care of him.
I've given him pom poms, a little carrot mouse toy, paper towel rolls, 2 tunnels. He doesn't use any of it. I keep his cage near my bed to monitor him. I'm truly stuck.
To piggyback off the first 24 hours I had him, I thought he hated me after it all happened but I guess it made him trust me more because I saved him. His foot is fine. Though it bothered him for that day.

I want advice on how to get him to be active. It seems like having it organically happen is impossible. What other toys should I try?
Hood Azure Comfort Grey Felidae

·
Registered
155 Posts
How old is he? Do you have a heat lamp in his cage?
I'm not an expert on hedgehogs, so I'll wait for someone else to weigh in, but those two pieces of information might help others. Also, most hedgehogs never show any interest in toys, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. My little guy only ever uses his wheel and a giant cardboard tube. If Dalton is super young, he may not know how to use his wheel yet, but like I said, I'm not an expert. Also, young hedgehogs (like human babies) sleep more than adults. So if Dalton is on the younger side, that might explain some of it. If you don't have a heat lamp, he might be too cold.
Hopefully someone else sees this and can give you some advice! Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
When he runs off to hide, does he also pee/poop? I found my guy does good cuddling, but if he needs to relieve himself, he doex anything he can to get away.
As far as the leg, did you have that checked out by a vet and/or is he walking normal? I echo ChloeMali's comments.
The fact that you're on here asking these types of questions is a good start to being a good pet owner.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hedgehogs are a patient pet, so keep that in mind! You've had him a little over a week now- it took me months before Pebbles started to warm up to me. He could also be scared and stressed with the big change in his environment so give him time to settle in.
I agree with both of the above replies. Also, does he eat everything you give him, all the kibble and mealworms? Is he drinking water each night?
Good luck and I hope everything works out!
P.S. Dalton Jr is an adorable name!

·
Registered
41 Posts
It took three or four months before I started to feel a bond with my hog. She refused to be on me unless she was in her hide, which extended to blankets when she got a bit older. Our routine is still that I'll put her in a blanket on my lap, she'll sleep for a couple hours, and occasionally will come out to run around the couch/on me when she gets hungry. Other times she wakes up but won't come out, and won't even eat until I put her back in her house. Be patient! It sounds like you want to do well with your hog, so you probably will do well.

Temp is very important for your hog as the other commenters said.

I'd suggest searching these forums for any and all question. They go back years and I found it extremely helpful when I first got my gal 2.5 years ago. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts