Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hedgie is having trouble pooping when i give him footbaths. I never really see him poop in his cage so I'm not sure if it's just the water or what. He tries to poop in the water and usually he can do it with no problem but recently I noticed it takes him a couple minutes to get it out. Sometimes he doesn't poop at all! (He usually poops 1-3 times during a footbath.) I can't find anything about what it would be. I don't know if it's constipation or if I need to take him to the vet or if it's normal with growing hedgies. Please help if you know anything, Rubeus would appreciate it :D!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Can you describe what his poop looks like? Does it look thinner than usual? Drier than usual? What do you feed him? Has he gotten any new foods recently? And does he have a water bottle or bowl?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
His poop looks more like diarrhea when he's out of his cage. The poop in his cage looks normal as I can tell. He hasn't had any new foods recently, I mix in small baby carrot slices or small pieces of lettuce I tore up every few days with his cat food that was recommended (I slowly switched him to it) but he's been fed like that since February, I got him in December. He still has big poops. And yes, he has both a bowl and a bottle. Should I stop the carrots and lettuce for a while and see if there's a difference?
Thanks!
-Rubeus' mom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
+Mealworms

His poop looks more like diarrhea when he's out of his cage. The poop in his cage looks normal as I can tell. He hasn't had any new foods recently, I mix in small baby carrot slices or small pieces of lettuce I tore up every few days with his cat food that was recommended (I slowly switched him to it) but he's been fed like that since February, I got him in December. He still has big poops. And yes, he has both a bowl and a bottle. Should I stop the carrots and lettuce for a while and see if there's a difference?
Thanks!
-Rubeus' mom
Oops! forgot to add that I give him 3-5 mealworms every few days:p and his cat food brand is Purina ProPlan Chicken and Rice formula.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are those mealworms freeze dried?
If so, that's a lot of freeze dried worms, and is probably causing constipation.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
The inconsistency of the poop doesn't make sense to me - hard to get out in the bath, diarrhea-like out of the cage, but normal in the cage? I think it might not be a bad idea to get a fecal test done at the vet, just to rule out any intestinal issues causing the problems. Usually being in the warm water of a bath makes it easier for them to poop if they're going to. Out of the cage could be stress, but I wouldn't think so if you've had him for 5 months & this is a recent change. If you get a fecal test done to rule out a health issue, then we can see what other things might be a cause.

Seconding the question regarding mealworms. I wouldn't think that small of an amount would cause the issues, but if they are freeze-dried, it's possible.

What kind of lettuce are you giving him? Be careful with the carrot slices if you're giving raw - hard vegetables like that can cause choking because they're harder for hedgehogs to chew with their type of teeth. It's better to steam or cook hard veggies like carrots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The inconsistency of the poop doesn't make sense to me - hard to get out in the bath, diarrhea-like out of the cage, but normal in the cage? I think it might not be a bad idea to get a fecal test done at the vet, just to rule out any intestinal issues causing the problems. Usually being in the warm water of a bath makes it easier for them to poop if they're going to. Out of the cage could be stress, but I wouldn't think so if you've had him for 5 months & this is a recent change. If you get a fecal test done to rule out a health issue, then we can see what other things might be a cause.

Seconding the question regarding mealworms. I wouldn't think that small of an amount would cause the issues, but if they are freeze-dried, it's possible.

What kind of lettuce are you giving him? Be careful with the carrot slices if you're giving raw - hard vegetables like that can cause choking because they're harder for hedgehogs to chew with their type of teeth. It's better to steam or cook hard veggies like carrots.
That's why I can't find anything on it! It's just too strange. I give him romane lettuce. I slice the carrots into teeny tiny thin pieces. I'll try different foods like banana that are softer. Maybe it's not even a problem, it just looks different in the tub! I'll see if I can take him to the vet soon. I hope he'll be okay. Any tips on what to do until then?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Romaine lettuce is better than say, iceberg, but still not horribly nutritious. I would see if you can find some other fresh foods to offer him as treats & diet supplements. Not right now, until you can figure out what's going on with his poop, but just as an idea for the future.

If you happen to get some pictures of any weird-looking poops, feel free to post them. That can help with giving more accurate advice & ideas on what's going on and we get poop pictures fairly frequently on here, so it's hard to get grossed out anymore. :lol:

IMO, it wouldn't hurt to try offering some probiotics, in case his intestinal tract is out of whack for some reason. I use Bene Bac small mammal powder probiotics & just sprinkle a scoop over the food when introducing a new food, during/after antibiotic courses, etc. Other than that, I would just avoid adding anything new to his diet right now and see if you can notice any other comments that might be useful to the vet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!!

Romaine lettuce is better than say, iceberg, but still not horribly nutritious. I would see if you can find some other fresh foods to offer him as treats & diet supplements. Not right now, until you can figure out what's going on with his poop, but just as an idea for the future.

If you happen to get some pictures of any weird-looking poops, feel free to post them. That can help with giving more accurate advice & ideas on what's going on and we get poop pictures fairly frequently on here, so it's hard to get grossed out anymore. :lol:

IMO, it wouldn't hurt to try offering some probiotics, in case his intestinal tract is out of whack for some reason. I use Bene Bac small mammal powder probiotics & just sprinkle a scoop over the food when introducing a new food, during/after antibiotic courses, etc. Other than that, I would just avoid adding anything new to his diet right now and see if you can notice any other comments that might be useful to the vet.
Thanks for all your help!! I will try that. His poop looks much better, maybe it was the lettuce. I was probably just paranoid because I didn't want him to die. Any recommended fruits and veggies?:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your help!! I will try that. His poop looks much better, maybe it was the lettuce. I was probably just paranoid because I didn't want him to die. Any recommended fruits and veggies?:D
Rubeus had infected feet in Janurary/February, so I didn't want him to get sick again. His poop was probably fine to begin with, just a little bit different. I was probably freaking out over nothing:lol:. Thank you for your help, sorry I put you guys through all that trouble! <3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts