Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get a good variety of dried cat foods that are on reapers list, but living in England means im having trouble finding alot of the brands.

Henry is currently eating Purina One Natural blends chicken but i want to add a couple more.

Would introducing Royal canin adult fit 32 & then another one of either the Royal Canin or Purina be adequate?

If anyone knows of any brands that are available over here that are good i would love to know as im not very good at understanding all the ingredients list etc.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
The main things you want to watch out for on percentages is for protein to be between 28-32%, fat should be below 15%, fiber shouldn't pose too much of a problem as most cat food is too low in fiber for hedgehogs anyway. You can fix that by adding Grape Nuts cereal or infant rice cereal to your hedgehog's food.
For ingredients, you want to make sure that there is no BHA or BHT or ethoxyquin, which are all artificial preservatives that are suspected to cause lots of problems in animals. You want at least one meat or meat meal in the first five ingredients, preferably as the first ingredient. Someone else has mentioned that dried brewer's yeast might not be a good thing to have in food, since it's what's left over after brewing beer.

The only thing I saw wrong in Royal canin adult fit 32 was that it did have dried brewer's yeast in it, but everything else is fine, so I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
If you can tell me what pet stores you have near you, I can search the cat foods they sell and see if there's anything good. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much! :D

I've been looking up the brand James Wellbeloved because its meant to be all natural, but the main ingredient seemed to be rice?!

The main shop here is pets at home.

I really appreciate your help, i worried ill get it wrong!

xx

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure if that brand would be good or not...Reaper's the nutrition expert around here, lol. It seems like most of the foods on their website either don't have meat first, or have too high of a protein percentage... The only one that I'm not sure whether it would be a good one or not is a Hills Science Plan one. Maybe Reaper could give an opinion on it?
Hills Science Plan Feline Light Mature Adult / Senior 7 Plus Food with Chicken 2kg
Ingredients:
Chicken (Min. Chicken 30%; Min. Chicken and Turkey Combined 50%): Dehydrated Chicken and Turkey Protein, Ground Maize, Ground Rice, Maize Gluten Meal, Cellulose, Animal Fat, Dehydrated Tuna Protein, Digest, Soybean Mill Run, Vegetable Oil, Potassium Chloride, L-Carnitine Supplement, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulphate, Salt, Dl-Methionine, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, Vitamins and Trace Elements. Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary Extract

Typical Analysis:
Moisture 8%, Protein 31.3%, Oils and Fats 9.2%, Fibre 7.4%, Ash 2.63%

It's got chicken for the first ingedient, and the right percentages of protein and fat, but I'm not completely sure on the rest of the stuff. Might want to ask Reaper about it. :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would be wary of the corn, rice and gluten so high up in the ingredient list. also a little unsure about the citric acid since hedgies arent supposed to have citrus fruit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thank you for trying! Im losing the will to live trying to find the right food!

Everything im looking up has either too high fat or protein, the main ingredients include rice and gluten or they have citrus in them!!

We need to start getting as much choice over here as you guys do. Ill add some of the royal canin foods that are on reapers list for now until i find a brand that meets henry's needs.

Thanks again for trying to help me. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts