Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was hoping some of you could help me make a checklist for when we go to pick up our new baby from the breeder next month.

Our checklist right now is this:
- Small cat carrier
- Fleece blankets
- Hand warmers
- Snuggle safe disc

We will be traveling by car from NC to FL and will be staying at pet-friendly hotels. Accompanying us will be our 2 dogs (who are mellow-tempered overall) which are 45lbs and 7lbs. Ruby (the 7lb dog) will likely ride in a lap to and from the whole way and Sele (45lb dog) always rides in the backseat. Our plan is to buckle the carrier on the back seat so theres no chance of "topples" during travel!

We know that our checklist is looking rather bare and would like you guys help to figure out what we need to get our baby girl to have a safe, nice ride home! What is the best way to "water her" during the trip? :?: Also, when should we feed her? Would it be best just to feed her when we stop or offer her food at all times? We have a ceramic heat emitter and timer.. would that be a good thing to bring along too? Sorry for all the questions! :mrgreen:

We also would like some insight on what kind of wheel to use. Our last hedgehog had a silent spinner which we still have, but we want to use whichever is going to be best for a growing baby! :? We wanted to order one from Reaper but he seems to be pretty backed-up on orders right now!

A little background on her:
She was born into a litter of 5 on 10/20/09. Her mom rejected the litter and later passed away. When her litter was rejected, they were put with another mom who had 3wk olds of her own. The breeder took the 3wk olds and hand-raised them while the other mom took care of this litter. The breeder hasn't handled them as much as she would've liked b/c of being so busy with all the babies and fear of the litter being rejected a second time. Nonetheless, the whole litter overall is still fairly sweet. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Baby wipes to wipe out the cat carrier when it poops. Plastic bags to put dirty bedding in. (so the pee doesn't smell up the car) Small dish for the food/water at your stops. I'm guessing it will sleep most of the way.

There is also a section on the forums regarding Travel, don't know if you've checked that out yet.

How long is the total drive?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A BIG ol' bottle of water from your place, so you can keep her water consistent while traveling. Are you going to be having multiple overnights in the hotels? I've read (can someone please confirm) that some people when showing and staying at hotels, use the tub with a liner & the plug in as a cage overnight. That way there's lots of room for the hedgie to run at night while safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts