Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to the forum, and very soon to be the owner of a Hedgehog!

I've wanted one for a few years, and really started reading about them within the past year.
I'm feeling well prepaired to bring my hedgehog home. Food and snacks are ready to go, exercise wheel, bedding, nesting toys and such are in place and a warm environment is ready.. I know there's a lot to learn along the way, but the basics of health and safty are covered and I can't wait to bond with my Hedgehog.

I am facing one problem: Exactly how do I get my hedgie home!? I can pick him up within the next week, but I want to make sure I bring him home in a safe manner. I can't seem to find any information on it.

I was thinking about getting a smallish cardboard box without a lot of wiggle room and filing it with bedding would be a wise way to go, while placing it on someones lap while in the car on the way home.

Is this a good/safe idea? How do you transport your hedgehogs?

Thanks so much for the info.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The box thing is what I did with my Loki, but you should listen to Larry, he undoubtedly knows better than I do. x3 Also, be prepared for baby to get carsick if you have a long way to go from his breeder back to your house, it may not happen, but you want to be sure to expect that it might, so you don't get all scared and panicky if it does happen. If he/she does get carsick, when you get the hoglet home you should put them straight to bed and offer water, probably not food because you don't want the little one to get sick again. Don't give cold water, room temperature is best. Bottled water may be better than tap if you don't have a filter, that way, there won't be difficulties arising from the different tap water sources.

These are all things Loki's breeder told me when he got carsick on the way home, and he was perfectly fine by the next day. Again, it may not happen. Your hedgie may travel well, but he or she will certainly be stressed, which can absolutely contribute to carsickness.

Just something to bear in mind, on the off-chance that your baby should have stomach issues on the way home.

EDIT: Eww, Larry, it's hot pink! My eeyyyyess! It burns!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The commute is very short, no more than 15 minutes. Playing with him and holding him, he already seems to be a pretty easy going guy. He fluffs up about once when picking him up out of the cage and then calms down. I'm hoping that makes his move a bit easier. Hopefuly I dont have to deal with a sick little one, but I'll be sure to remember your advice Sela.

I don't plan on moving him very far or frequently, but I'll invest in a small carrier and some fleece to move him around in. Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts