Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Has anyone got a list or pics of the toys that they keep in there cages with there APH's. Just so i no what i can put in with him and too see the variety of diffent things people provide theres with.

Many thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
These are some of Loken's toys:

The box in the back is a Kleenex bog that Loken digs in but decided to sleep in it today and dragged his blankets and one of his papertowels into it. There is usually just fleece strips in it. There is a toliet paper tube cut lengthwise so he doesn't get stuck and the edges were rounded so they don't poke an eye. He has a solid rubber ball, I made sure he wouldn't try biting a chunk out of it before I let it be in his cage. The little green truck and gray thing in the back are transformer toys from a happy or kids meal. There's no moveable pieces and they are solid cast plastic. I double checked them all to make sure there was no sharp flashing on them that could cut him. There is a piece of braided fleece that he likes to play with but this isn't left in there and is a supervised toy only. Other toys I have that you can't see in the picture is Loken's pvc tube (can be seen in another picture I posted awhile back) and I have more little toys that I rotate out so that he can play with different things and not get bored. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
In Inky's cage I usually have:

his wheel
a PVC elbow, 4"
a toilet paper tube cut lengthwise
a small stuffed animal

·
Registered
270 Posts
hammy had extra fleece "blankies" for digging in, and those little jingle balls for cats...the kinds without holes because i was afraid of her sticking her nose in it, and small stuffed animals with no plasctic parts or tags for snuggling with and climbing on.

she also had a dump truck and a ferret tent with tunnels for supervised play, but those were not kept in her cage.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My hedgehogs really like small boxes they can flip over. The end of a Little Debbie's snack cake box is always a hit. I leave about 3 or 4 inches to crawl under, and cut off the back and leave the sides and front. It looks like a mini camper shell that would go on the back of a pickup! It's too small to sleep in, but they have fun hiding underneath it and flipping it over.

I hope my description makes sense!

·
Registered
793 Posts
rainbowcookie, you just gave me a great idea! My hubby lives on little debbies (ah the army life!) and we always have the leftover boxes...*grin*

As for toys I have for my little guy, he has one of each of the following:

*die cast metal miniature tonka dump truck (I had mealie pupae in here for him to find, only use pupae though, the other 2 life stags can crawl out and escape!)

*Small Kleenex box with fleece strips

*solid plastic balls of varying sizes that used to belong to my son when he was a small baby

*Cut-down-the-side toilet paper tube

We're waiting on our new wheel from Misty @ Dorman Exotics, and that will complete the set!

I want to get him a piece of dryer tubing or PVC pip for a tunnel, but am not really sure how I'd go about making it safe for him to use? (Him being Charley, my hedgie).

~Katie

·
Registered
902 Posts
Riley has a blue plastic "spring" that came with him, it is moved all around his house. He also has:
very small stuffed animal hedgehog
tp tube cut lengthwise
Holiday decorated kleenex box with fleece strips (I'm still waiting for the Valentine ones to come out!)
several blankets that he roots in.

Whyte has a small amber prescription bottle, cap on child-proofed, decorated with stickers, this moves all around his house every day and one time was shoved into the tp tube
hedgehog stuffie
tp tube
kleenex box with fleece strips
several blankets to root in
another small hedgehog stuffie

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well right now Milo has...
-a little stuffed hedgie (occasionally found swimming in his water dish in the morning :roll: )
-a stuffed frog (often found near his wheel and umm needing to be cleaned)
-plastic kitty ball with a bell (the solid kind)
-a big tp roll from work that he can walk through (usually found wedged in behind his wheel, sure would like to see how he does that :lol: )
-one of those bird toys with colored blocks of wood on a metal stick and a bell at the bottom that I hang from the top of his cage ( he really can only reach the bell but he seems to like to ring it lol)

But when he is in his playpen he also has....
-a big octopus tunnel thingy(made for ferrets) - he really only seems to sleep in this one :roll:
-a big ball made out of fleece (sticks his nose under it and launches it away from him when he finds it in his path)
-a ferret tinnel( it crinckes when he walks in it and he LOVEs it)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi! I was wondering if any one could clarify the tissue box with fleece strips for me! Do you just leave the strips in the bottom of an intact tissue box? Or are they more like streamers attached to the box? And finally, are the cube ones better or the rectangle boxes? I'm anticipating purchasing a hedgehog in the middle of May & am preparing. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
A regular cube sized box will be too small for a hedgehog. You'll want one of the longer rectangle ones, or an aired out shoe box, etc. Then you cut the fleece into 1x2" strips (at least that's what I've done) and put them in the bottom of the box. Be warned your hedgie might drag them out of the box and toss them all over the cage, though. :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks! Is the hole in the tissue box adequate or do I cut it more? As long as he/she is having fun I won't mind them taking out the fleece. Sounds like a cute game.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
bangeranggg said:
Thanks! Is the hole in the tissue box adequate or do I cut it more? As long as he/she is having fun I won't mind them taking out the fleece. Sounds like a cute game.
Usually I cut the small edge off and cut off the sharp edges around the hole in tissue box. Obviously also take the plastic off of it.

I have a picture that I will re-size and post momentarily.

Edit: Found it. For a moment I thought that the picture I had was lost in a recent computer crash.

[attachment=0:1hzrjf39]Aug 3rd 09 - 2.jpg[/attachment:1hzrjf39]

he pulled most of the strips out so he could sleep

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
bangeranggg said:
Thank you for posting; this is very helpful!! Quigely is very adorable & looks like he really enjoys the box!
You're welcome and thank you for the compliment. I don't know why Quigley decided to be such a cute snuggle pie that day but it's one of my favourite pictures.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I can see why it's a favourite! Look how cute he is, I just want to kiss his little nose.

·
Registered
115 Posts
that picture is just waaaaay too cute!!! lol

The only toy Pineapple really likes is her tiny stuffed elephant. She drags it inside her igloo and sleeps with it and it so adorable! >_<
I'm so hoping one day I can catch her in the act of dragging it inside her house.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts