Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a hedgehog from what I'd call a terrible life. The only think in her cage at the moment, what she was sent with, is a reptile hide (and the entrance is so small she has to crawl to get inside) and her food and water bowl. Not even a wheel, the lady said we had to buy one because she never did. The tank she is in is a 20 gallon, which isn't even big enough to hold the wheel we bought. She's had the hedgehog (Lina) since she was 3 weeks old (as I've gathered, you should only adopt one no younger then 8 weeks) and has not had a wheel since... I'm just surprised she isn't overweight. The lady also said to only give her 5-6 pieces of the cat food she has a day?! I do not believe that is enough as the pieces are only the size of normal cat food. I'm just very glad I adopted her, someone who knows how to do research, instead of someone who didn't know squat and just left her cage the way it was.

Anyways, I am going to be getting 55 gallon tank soon, I know tanks aren't very ideal because of ventilation purposes, but the person I SHOULD be buying it from said the price should be cheap if not free, so this will be temporary until I can find a wire cage. I will be adding a wheel, some toys, a new hide (that she doesn't have to crawl into), as well as having fleece as the bedding. I will be adding more fleece scraps in the hide so she has that to burrow into. I might even add a teddy bear into the cage!

Okay, sorry for the rant and then going on about her new cage, but back to the question. What would be some suitable toys for her? I will be getting her some jingly cat balls (that do not have openings) and a toilet paper tube (cut down the center so she can get out if she gets stuck) but what about some more toys? Anything else I should add?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Not sure if you saw my suggestion in your other thread, so just to reiterate - a large sterilite bin would be a better option for a temporary cage, but is also perfectly good as a permanent cage as well.

Definitely get a sleeping bag, they're the best hideaway/sleeping spot in my experience. Whatever hide you choose, don't get a wooden one - they can't be cleaned well after poop or urine gets on them and they can harbor mites. If you go with a bag, you'll want a few of them (same with liners) so you can rotate them when they need to be washed. 4" PVC pipe (straight or the various cross-section or elbow pieces) are popular cage additions. Small toy cars (Hot Wheels, Matchbox, etc) are the only toys that my crew play with consistently. Some hedgehogs just don't like toys and are perfectly happy just having a wheel.

I'm sure the food she's been on is no good. Have you thought about what kind of food you'll be switching to? There are some stickies in the diet section to help with that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@MoxieBerry - Thank you! If the lady isn't selling her tank (like I said, it should be really cheap), I will go the bin route, but I have to find out, first :)
And about her food, it's some kind of Science Diet? Chicken is the first ingredient (not a by-product) and the protein is about 30%, but the thing that threw me off is it's kitten food, so naturally the fat would be higher. It's about 21%... So I know I do need to get her off of that food, I will go look at that thread in a minute, but do you know of a good cat food I could switch her to?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Personally I love Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul. I use both the adult light and senior/hairball versions in my mix. That one won't be in any big chain stores but it's pretty easy to find in small privately-owned pet stores and feed stores. I know Del's has it; and Del's also has 4Health, I use the indoor version of that.

This is the list of hedgehog-approved foods I give to people buying babies from us. There are some other good ones out there, but this list covers the popular ones:

http://www.volcanoviewhedgehogs.com/kib ... oduce.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts