Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live just north of Dallas, Texas. As you've probably seen there have been A LOT of tornadoes in our area. Thankfully none have been close enough to warrant us taking shower but if it does, what do I do with my hedgies? Obviously I would take them in the laundry room with us (we don't have basements in Texas). Space is limited with fitting 2 people, 2 dogs, a cat and 2 hedgies in a small laundry room so taking their cage isn't really an option. I grab their food, car carriers and a coke bottle full of water if the sirens go off but if something were to happen they would be without a real cage and wheel for a while.

Any thoughts on what to do if that were to happen? I just want to be as prepared as possible.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hmm, are there any hand-crank power generated heating sources on the market? I know there are flashlights and radios and whatnot that you can charge manually, but if they make a heating pad or something that would be a good idea.

Is there a way you could install a shelf that folds down? That way it wouldn't take up space when you aren't using the room, and in an emergency you can put it up to set a hedgie enclosure on it and it wouldn't take up floor space.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not so worried about heat, as it's about 90 degrees here during tornado season. I do have some hand warmers but they're really just if it happens to get cold enough to snow in the winter.

My primary concern is that I don't have enough space for two wheels, and two cages. If my house were demolished by a tornado, I would have no where to put my hedgehogs and no wheel for them. I've considered putting their wheels, food, bowls etc in the dryer but that sill leaves me with no cages.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Can you fit those large Sterlite or Rubbermade tubs in there? They can hold storage for now, and then dump out the storage to use for cages in an emergency. I used to live in a tornado zone and they always say to keep a kit of emergency supplies in your safe area, this could be the sterlite bins and then include a few hand warms, extra food for all the animals, and then flashlight, radio, etc for the humans.
Stay safe! All this tornado news has me so concerned and worried for disasters!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I can't. we have just enough room for a washer and dryer. I mean, if we put 2 washers, and 2 dryers in there there would be absolutely no floor space left, not even enough to open the doors to use them, just to give you an idea of how small it is. I've considered putting food/water/wheels in the dryer when they start calling for severe weather so it's there if I need it but that doesn't help with the cage issue.

OH I just remembered that I have those popup dog kennels that I used for my trip to Mississippi! I could keep those in the laundry room since they're tiny when they're folded down! Would just have to grab wheels out of their cages and obviously get the hedgies.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are supposed to get our really bad weather tomorrow around 3pm. Tomorrow morning I am going to get a cat carrier for my cat (I already have carriers for my hedgies) and get extra food for all my animals. The Oklahoma tornadoes have me totally freaked out right now.

For my hedgies what all should I have in our "safe place" (the laundry room). If possible could you list the "absolutely must haves" and the "would be nice to haves" separately. Obviously absolutely must have food, water, dishes, carriers, fleece, and maybe thermometer? It's not cold here in Texas at all but if we got hit by a tornado I might would need one? IDK.

Any input is much appreciated.

·
Registered
496 Posts
First off I just wanted to say I am glad that your area did not get hit by those horrible storms. I would say food, water, and maybe a fleece blanket. I would not really worry about a wheel or a large "proper" cage during an emergency.
The main thing is that you would all be alive and safe. Those other things can be replaced and if there is not room for it, then you just have to get the bare necessities and that is sufficient. I agree that you do not need a heater or anything like that because if it is tornado season then it isn't going to be cold. (hand warmers don't take up any space though so you could just put them in the safe room). Anyway, good you are thinking about these things.
Take care,
Susan H.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I have been watching the horrors of what has been happening. I will add you to my prayers for the safety of your family and all of your pets. I admire your planning and concern for all of your pets.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm about to run to the store to get extra food and such. We were issued a tornado watch a while ago and some bad weather is on its way. I have 4 2 liter bottles of water, my dog and cat food, the pop up dog kennels, and extra fleece/blankets stored in the dryer :lol: My mom went to wash clothes and I was like.. uhh you have to wait until tomorrow lol. I'm so paranoid...

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree with Susan H...the most important thing is that they are in there safe with you. The same way people take shelter in a small space with just the necessities to stay alive during disaster is the same kind of thing I would think to prepare for pets. If you are talking about a small space then having their normal cages just isn't an option. Honestly I would just make sure you have something they can't get out of and are comfortable enough in just in case you all ever have to take cover. If it were me I would just use a bucket or something that I knew was sturdy and Henry wouldn't be able to climb out of and shove a towel or fleece in there. My hedgehog would just curl up and go back to sleep and wouldn't care. I would think some food and water would be important but unless it happens late at night when hedgie would normally be awake I would think your hedgies would be just fine falling back asleep once you move them.

Hopefully it's something you will never have to deal with but props to you for being super prepared just in case!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts