Hedgehog Central banner
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Yukidama's mama 
#1 · (Edited)
My little Belle is around 1.5 years old and it came to my attention, tonight, that one side of her lip seems to be a little swollen? I'm posting here to see if anyone has dealt with something similar. Before this though I have noticed that she has been losing teeth. In total she has lost 3, her third was tonight. She seems to be scratching the area and when I flip her on her back I can see that one side may be a little swollen or sore as it seems pink. Could this be an infection or disease? Is it because she chooses wet food over dry? Thank you.
Edit: This morning I also noticed she had eaten less than she usually does too.

#2 · (Edited)
If it looks red and she is losing teeth, you need take her to the vet and get them to examine her mouth. She is quite young to be losing multiple teeth.

My boy has had some mouth issues, mainly just a lumpy/swollen lip and excessive saliva. We ended up having him put under anaesthetic and did a thorough examination, xrays and biopsies done. Turns out he had gingivitis (very swollen and inflamed gums~ 3 out of 4 sides of his mouth). He was put on anti-inflammatories for 3 weeks, which we just finished earlier this week and his gums don't look red now, from what we could tell. Apart from the inflamed gums, the vet said his teeth looked healthy, non missing, non wobbly and all straight. But if left untreated it could become serious, start losing teeth or even develop cancer.

He has also eaten wet food (dry kibble soaked in water and mashed up) as well as insects daily, for about 1.5yrs now (he just turned 2 last week). The vet said it is fine to give them it wet/soaked as it is easier on their teeth, cat kibble is generally quite hard. I am going to try giving him enzymatic toothpaste once a week/fortnight to help his gums stay healthy.

Definitely take her to the vet before she loses more teeth. It could be an infection (infected tooth or gums), an abscess, a deficiency or worse. It's most likely quite painful I imagine too.

I have posted before about Yuki's mouth issue and added photos of what his mouth looked like on the outside if you want to compare. Although the outside of his mouth still looks the same even after 3 weeks of antibiotics so not sure if it's relevant and the jowl is just something he's developed from excessive boy time (my conclusion!).

Keep us posted please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.