Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
3,838 Posts
Good luck. Is it a liquid? Or are you having to crush a pill and make it a liquid? I'm wondering if it could be sweetened or something added to mask the taste. A little applesauce in the syringe with it?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you! It is a liquid, and I was able to order it with a flavor. I chose banana since she seems to like banana. I'm thinking it's about the same as having a cherry flavored cough syrup. It's still pretty gross. Maybe I'll try something like chicken next time I order it. Dealing with Palladia is a bigger deal than I thought it would be. According to the info that came with it, I need to wear gloves when I draw it and administer it, and should be wearing gloves when I deal with her waste. Thankfully she's mostly pretty good about doing her business on paper towels I leave for her. Also, according to the info sheet it should not be administered with NSAIDs. So it worked out pretty well that she had just run out of metacam. But this is why you read the fact sheets that come with new drugs, I doubt I would have thought about potential drug interactions otherwise. Anyway, I'll give it a little bit and update if there are any changes.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Let's see...its been about 3 weeks since we started a round of antibiotics and prednisone, and about 2ish weeks since the we started the Palladia. Not really seeing a change. It's possible that it's holding back change, but the lump is at least as big as it was, and probably is bigger. She seems to be eating less, but sometimes she surprises me and eats more. She's still sleeping in her potty corner. On the bright side, since the antibiotic round is over, her poops are more solid, so she's not walking in puddles of poo. I think her mouth is bleeding. She drools a lot since she can't fully close her mouth and what I'm seeing is red. It doesn't help that food gets caught in her mouth on the swollen side. Sometimes we can get it out by wiping her mouth with a damp paper towel, but she does not like that, so we don't torment her too much with it. She seems to dislodge some of it on her own at least.

Ultimately, I'm just not seeing the improvement I was really hoping for. She seems to be hanging in there. My selfish side wants her to make it to October since that's when she'll turn 5. She might make it too, but I'm trying not to count on it. I think what I'm looking for now is apathy. She still gets mad and hisses at me when I pick her up, still gets excited for food even if she doesn't eat it. She still climbs up on her wheel even though she doesn't run on it. Still wakes up in the late afternoon for a snack, or just to relocate to a more comfortable spot. Her sniffer is still going a hundred miles an hour. I would really like to let her go on her own time, but if it seems like she's suffering beyond simple discomfort I'll help her.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Final update.

Ash passed away today peacefully at home. I had gotten her out to syringe feed her and came to the realization that she was just about ready to go. I cuddled her for a while told her that I loved her and that it was ok if she wanted to go. Thankfully, my husband was able to be home and with her as well. She died surrounded by people who loved her.

I am grateful to have had her and to be there in her final moments.

I am also grateful to everyone that offered advice throughout her life and especially in the last couple of months as her health declined.

·
Administrator
3,838 Posts
Oh I'm sorry to read this. oral SCC is just such a nasty cancer... not that any of them are good, but it can be a rough one to deal with. At least she picked when to go and hopefully you had a few extra weeks of snuggles .

21 - 25 of 25 Posts