Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
I take it the vet still feels its just an infection then?

I've never used benebac, but yes you can use that. I've always just purchased some high count probiotic from the human supplement section of my health food store. Open capsule, sprinkle some on her kibble, or mix it into anything you syringe feed or soft food she's eating. I think you know this, but just in case, or for anyone else reading this... keep in mind that you cannot give probiotics and antibiotics too close together else the antibiotic will nuetralize the probiotic... mid-way between antibiotic dose is preferable if you can time it right.

Soft and green can be very normal for a hedgehog on antibiotics, especially with certain types. For example, baytril is well known at causing GI upset and I always give probiotics for up to a week after they are off it to help settle the GI. Its a great antibiotic, but it can cause absolute chaos on their GI, in my experience.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Poor girl. I'm sure her mouth hurts and she's just tired of being messed with. Its for her own good and hopefully she'll start feeling better soon and enjoying more snuggles than stuff being poked into her mouth.

Yeh, get those probiotics started. You might even try mixing some pumpkin into syringe feedng. But if she's also had a diet change (soft foods) vs her normal kibble, she's just going through so much that her GI is angry about it too. It should improve once her mouth problem resolves.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Well... crud. SCC is a bad diagnosis. Where was the mass again? If it is on the upper part of the mouth: watch her eyes and breathing. SCC often will spread into their nasal cavities. If it is lower: expect a lot of swelling and her having trouble eating.

Here is a post where I linked to a few other posts where I posted walls of text. Yes, I'm being lazy by just linking back to old threads, but you may find something of value in those threads.

Treatment wise, chances are it isn't surgically removable. SCC tends to be highly aggressive in growth and spread. Sorry to be blunt, but it can be a very nasty cancer. There was someone who tried palladia with their hedgehog for SCC and had got an extra year with their quilled one. I have no experience with it as I haven't had one with an SCC diagnosis in over a decade. But it may be something to ask your vet about.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
That cancer can grow quickly, but if she bites it when trying to eat, it may be getting infected. You may want to ask doc about an antibiotic. With NeMali we also used prednisone to help with inflammation as her SCC was highly aggressive and spreading and swelling so fast.

Buprenorphine is pretty powerful. Buprenorphine may cause her to be more sleepy and seem out of it. I have had it prescribed to a hedgehog or two after a nasty surgery. We wanted them a little sleepy to assist in recovery, but just an FYI in case she has some change in that regard.

Please keep me updated on what the vet recommends. And if you need a shoulder, please don't hesitate to ask. I've dealt with way too many cancers over the last, gosh nearly 30 years now in caring for these little ones.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Yeh, I think I had one that was on something ridiculous like .01 cc. I found syringes online that have the plunger that go all the way down through the tip of the syringe. I at least knew that it emptied completely. I bought a full box of 100 a long time ago, but I believe these are them, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Exel Syringe without needle - single syringe - 1 cc -EX-1003

I use them for feeding and often use them instead of the ones the vet gives. They hold up better in my opinion.

Ask your vet if he can dilute the meds or if you can. Sometimes they can compound medications to make them more easily administered (and sometimes to add flavor to make the pet take them easier too).

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Poor girl. Has the new meds helped at all with the swelling?

From my experience with that cancer and others that swell up a lot, they really do try to behave normally. Its the cancers that impact internal organs that slow them down so much. So long as you can modify their living conditions (like soft foods) they will continue to try to behave normally, its just a matter of managing pain and figuring out what behavior changes indicate pain.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Good luck. Is it a liquid? Or are you having to crush a pill and make it a liquid? I'm wondering if it could be sweetened or something added to mask the taste. A little applesauce in the syringe with it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts