Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Harlow is well settled into our home now. but just finished some medications for a URI this morning.
She smells awfully bad lately from running in her poop and her fur is stained yellow almost. It just stinks.
I dont know if i should wait a few days to let the meds to their thing or if i could give her a bath now.
The last time i gave her a bath i didnt really know what i was doing. Used a soft toothbrush to scrub of poopy feet and her quills.
Any other pointers?
Do you guys prefer a bath or a sink?

Thank you!

EDIT* I also used Johnsons no tear baby shampoo

·
Registered
902 Posts
Just from other discussions I've seen on here, baby shampoos can be too drying. Aveeno Oatmeal bath is usually what I have seen recommended.

This link gives a great description of the "how to" of bathing, and although it mentions cat shampoo I am not sure if that is still recommended. http://hedgehogcentral.com/grooming.shtml

I prefer the bathroom sink at my house for these reasons, so it will depend on which room of your house you prefer:

sink is shallower and a comfortable height for me
floor is linoleum for easy cleanup of water, not carpeted
room is much brighter and warmer than other rooms at my house. The brighter light helps me with nail trimming.
I have all the supplies within reach so I don't have to leave him for one moment during bathing.
Counter space for the supplies without things falling off.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just plain oatmeal in an old sock and let it soak in the bath for a few mins
No need to rinse oatmeal water off I have been told

·
Registered
70 Posts
anna m said:
Just plain oatmeal in an old sock and let it soak in the bath for a few mins
No need to rinse oatmeal water off I have been told
I think this is more intended as a skin soother, not cleaning.

We do this in the bathroom sink in about 2" of water or a bit more using a small amount of the Aveeno oatmeal bathwater additive plus going over the quills with a medium-soft brush and the feet with a baby extra soft brush using Aveeno oatmeal baby shampoo as mentioned before.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think the Aveeno Oatmeal bath works well for cleaning them. I won't use anything with soap on them since there skin is so sensitive that Im unwilling to take a risk that would hurt him. The oatmeal bath absorbs and cleans all the dirt off him and his quills shine afterwards and he has no smell or dirt on him. It works great for us :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a problem with Piper in the big ole tub, so I have sterlite stacking drawers I use one of those and put some aveeno oatmeal bath and water thats about an inch deep thats warm to the touch, I use a soft toothbrush and just comb it through her..The first time didnt go well but this last time she enjoyed it quite well she played with her little ball pushing it around in her little tub :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts