Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
i'm looking into cat foods, and so far "Pro Plan" seems to work. Its first ingrediant is Chicken or Salmon but it does have a lot of Meat Meals in it. It has 41% protein. Is there a thing called TOO MUCH protein?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lmdn=Brand

Also most cat food has a food for adult and kitten. which should I buy?
Adult? or Kitten?

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
the second ingredient in the food you posted the link to is corn, which isn't great. You want a food that preferable doesn't have any corn in it or at the very least doesn't have it till the 5th ingredients. Also its best if you mix 2 or more kinds of food together rather than just one brand. If your hedgie is a baby you want to mix some kitten food with the adult food and slowly take the kitten food out. You should always feed the same food the hedgie was getting before you got it and keep it on that food for the first few weeks then you can slowly switch over. For protien I personally try to stay no higher that in the 30 % range.

Ingredients:
Chicken, corn gluten meal, soy protein concentrate, chicken meal, dried egg product, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, wheat flour, brown rice, oat meal, fish meal, natural flavor, fish oil, salt, phosphoric acid, dried sweet potatoes, dried spinach, blueberry pomace, choline chloride, calcium carbonate, zinc proteinate, Vitamin E supplement, potassium chloride, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
High protein is hard on the kidneys and can contribute to renal failure. I personally don't like feeding high protein foods at all. Hedgie's aren't built for it. I like to stay around 25% average, mainly sticking low 30s or below. With some high fat foods you can't avoid high protein though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts