Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I truly wish I could've entered this forum on a happier note. I am concerned about my girl Adora the Explora. She is 3 and a half, I understand she is middle age, and has bled a ton. The blood is coming from her "lady bits", and I have checked to make sure there was no cut or anything. 5 months ago she had a similar problem but she also had a piece of flesh coming out from below. After taking her to the E-vet 45 miles away and a reg vet for meds, she cleared up and seemed to be doing better.

Well now the blood is back and 20x worse than before. I am fearful for the worst (uterine cancer). I know what you are screaming, but the E-vet is not an option as they were not much help before (and expensive), but I will take her in first thing tomorrow morning to her vet. I am also fearful for the things that may needed to be done. I have a feeling that they will want to take a x-ray and gas her for it, then anything else that is added is fodder to the financial fire.

She is still moving, and I assume it must be painful, and has an appetite. But I found unsual that she is drinking a lot more.

I guess what I am trying to say through my rambling is has anyone experienced anything like this? Any success stories? Any wanna be "webvet" want to tell me she's just had the first hedgie period and will be just fine?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
This thread is recent and unfortunately did not have a good end:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3240

Really, though I'm sure you're looking for advice other than this, is to get her to a vet. Call around for anyone that has experience spaying small animals (like rabbits, rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc) or ask for a referral to someone who does. They should have the expertise needed to help save her. I'm afraid that much blood loss, especially from the uterus it sounds, is close if not fatal. :cry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I read that one and am praying it's not the same. I know they are not with us forever, but even the thought of losing my sweet girl is well.... you know.

I'll be waiting outside the vet's office tomorrow and praying the hedgehog vet is in. ::prays for a good outcome::

I don't know how she is walking around, but unlike last time, she still has an appetite and is drinking a lot. Thanks for your kind words.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
How much is she bleeding? Is it only coming out when she urinates or poops or is it all over? When they bleed heavily they become anemic which makes surgery far more risky.

At 3.5 she is at that age where we start to question if surgery is a sensible option especially since she had a bleeding episode previously.

She will need testing to find out if the bleeding is uterine or urinary. This is done by gassing her and inserting a fine needle into her bladder and pulling out some urine. If there is no blood, then the bleeding is uterine and you have decisions to make as to whether to get her immediately spayed. I would have the fine needle done before anything just so you don't pay for xrays that might not show anything.

We've had heavy bleeding here with both uterine and urinary issues and it's just about impossible to tell without the fine needle draw.

Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Nancy. Honestly I don't think it's urinary. Last night during the worst of it there was a smudge trail of blood going from upstairs to downstairs (She has a 2 floor 2x4 cage). We cleaned it up and it was back about 30 minutes later. But during all this she was still moving and eating, what a trooper.

We cleaned that up again before bed and I checked again, no new blood, not even where she was sleeping. Thank Goodness. I took a photo of the blood, so I can at least show the vet how much during one time.

Thanks for the news about the needle. I'm really hoping the hedgie vet is there this morning. They open in 90 minutes and I plan to be the first person they see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to add an update in case anyone else experiences this. I took her to the hedgie vet and he suggested a spay for possible tumors. She had one a week later and she is back to normal yay!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Oh thank goodness!! You had to be so scared, my heart went out to you. I am so glad you updated us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts