Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you first get a hoglet, how much food should you buy to start with?
If you plan to use cat food...
should you get a 4 pound bag or a 20 pound bag?
Thanks,
hr

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Smallest size you could possibly get. You will never be able to completely use the 20lbs bag before the expiration date.
Plus, once you start mixing other brands of cat food as well, it will last a very long time as it is.

Also, new hedgies should be on the food they have been eating at the breeders for at least 2 weeks before slowly making the switch to a new food(if you are choosing to switch foods).

·
Registered
912 Posts
Start with whatever your hedgie has been eating at the breeders (hopefully you can get some food from the breeder) and then decide if that works for you or if you need to change. If you change, make sure to introduce the new food slowly. And I'd definitely recommend you get the smaller size bags of food unless you have multiple hedgies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks. I thought the 20 pound would be too much...
how "slow" should you introduce new food? Just mix a little of it in with the old food and everyday keep mixing a little bit more in?
hr

·
Administrator
3,707 Posts
If your hedgehog accepts change to its diet... I use the following method: Week 1 1/4 new food. Week 2 1/2 new food. Week 3 3/4 new food. Week 4 all new food.

Now I said if your hedgehog willingly changes. Cooper took 4 months to switch over. For a long time we tried to introduce the 1/4 new food he would refuse to eat completely (no old no new). I'd have to switch back to all old food and try again later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts