Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am becoming very frustrated with our current wheel situation. I have tried several different products and I just can't seem to find a permeant solution for our 1 year old hedge, Popeye. Currently, I am using You & Me Exercise saucer in large. It's working so far, but only lasts for a a month/few months until it breaks and needs replacement.:???: Other wheels I've tried have either hurt his delicate paws, or make too much noise in the middle of the night.

We have Popeye in a big 44 gallon storage container (no worries, he has plenty of air holes!), so I am unable to use any cage attachments. The container is about 14" in height, and 55" in length.

I'm sure this question gets asked plenty, but I would greatly appreciate some feedback! Price isn't an issue....I'm spending a good $15 every month or two for his current wheel, so I would love a stable solution!

Also, is it safe to clean a dirty wheel in the bathtub? I am currently wiping the wheel everyday, then taking it to my parents one a week to hose down since we live on the 3rd floor of an apartment. When we got Popeye we lived in a condo with a big lawn and hose connection, but alas, we no longer have that luxury. I'd love to cut down on the amount of paper towels I'm using.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Have you tried a Carolina storm bucket wheel yet? Those are highly recommended, they're hand made specifically for hedgehogs. The seller is based in the States too so you shouldnt have a problem ordering one.

I just use wet paper towels, it takes about 3-4 to clean my boys wheel every morning and once a week I'll use a water and vinegar solution spray on it and wipe it down. I stopped cleaning mine with the shower hose as soap was deteriorating the protective seal on my Carolina storm wheel ><. Otherwise I highly recommend them, their silent and my boy loves his! ^^

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey Yuki, how did you get ahold of the storm bucket there in Japan? I've been trying to get my hands on one but with no luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Yukidama,

Thank you so much for the recommendation! I heard about these wheels before but never bought one due to our hedgehogs small cage. We've upgraded his living space since then, and I must have forgotten all about the California Storm bucket.

As soon as I saw your post, I went online and bought one.... it's perfect! My days of worrying are over :). I'm glad I remembered to come back and thank you. I will update if I have any issues with this wheel in the future...but, lets hope not!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts