Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned Emmy's cage this afternoon, and took out her water bowl and noticed her water was disguisting.
It looked like a few of her kibbles had gotten in there and broken apart.

I dumped it in the toilet and smelled it, and it smelled pretty gross. Spoiled food well if she got kibble in there, but I worried she might have possibly thrown it up too,maybe she choked?

Has anyone had a hedgie throw up in the water bowl?

I looked all over the cage for any other signs of throw up, nothing but poop and pee. She had a very dirty wheel, normal poop color.

Her appetite the past 3 nights has been great, last night she didn't eat as much.
A few weeks ago we were battling URI, but she's been seemingly improving (off the antibiotic) so I hope it has nothing to do with that.

If she didn't choke, what else could have happened and what symptoms should I be looking for?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It's probably just kibble. Some of mine get kibble in their water all the time. I think they are still chewing when they go to take a drink. :lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phew! I hope that was it! Silly hedgies. :roll:
makes sense anyway. She gets stuff in her water all the time.
Thanks bunches. I just wanted a second opinion just in case!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah mine does that all the time.. he also likes to play the little game of how many toys he can stuff in his water bowl before i get the chance to change it..

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Quigley sometimes spills his water on his food and then won't eat his food (he hates soft food)

He also dunks other stuff in his dish, he likes to drown toys (all his stuffed animals end up head first in the dish) and he likes to soak his blanket.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yep, sometimes they like to dump kibble in the water, or leave a nice little poo in it. :roll: As long as it's emptied and refilled each night, it's no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts