Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So my hedghog loves to dig. He digs in blankets and his bedding and cant get enought. I was thinking of adding a Sandbox to his cage but Ive heard mix reviews about this.

What are your thoughts on this?

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I think the sand would be really messy, but I suppose you could do it. Just make sure that if you do do it, you bake the sand in the oven for a couple of hours on like, 300 degrees or something, to make sure you kill any parasites.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah

well im designing a new cage for my hedggie which will have rooms seprated and so on (my dad builds houses so its a litle project during the winter lol) and i would buy the sand from a petshop, u can buy sand pretreated and so on.

thx for the reply!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Even preheated sand you should still cook in the oven. It's like buying mite infested wood shavings that are supposed to be "mite free". It's just better to be safe.

I'd worry about the sand getting into hard to clean places, especially for males. It'd also be possible for the sand to get stuck to some of the flakey skin that's on their backs when it's dry. Also, the sand would dry their already dry skin even more, so that's something to think about too. And what if they start using it as a litter box? And I agree that it'd be a messy process, with many potential baths needed, and more dry skin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.