Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so here is the deal... I have fleece lining in my hedgies cage. I love it and my hedgie loves it a little too much. I have an igloo with fleece in it AND a snuggle bag in there for him to sleep in. Please tell me.. why in gods name does he insist on sleeping UNDER the liner?!!!??? :evil: It's driving me nuts! The fleece on top of the liner is just as nice, how can I get him to stop? Do I have to staple the liner down!? My other hedgie does not do this. He is a good boy and sleeps where he is supposed to :mrgreen: Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you know how to Sew then Maybe Velcro would work? I can't think of anything else that sticks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mary said:
If you know how to Sew then Maybe Velcro would work? I can't think of anything else that sticks.
that would work! I thought of rocks along the sides, but i dont want them to climb on them and fall or try to escape or clean the poop off them too.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've done my own personal research into "Liner Diving" as I call it, and the reasons why hedgehogs do it. I know many do it during hot weather because the plastic in the bottom of the cage is cool feeling, but I knew my guys were doing it for a different reason. This is what I've basically concluded.

1. Some hedgehogs do not like the design of the igloo. This is because the entrance to the igloo is more or less in the middle of the whole structure, and I think their natural burrow typically has a tunnel entrance that leads to their den, thus when inside they are not in view of the doorway and predators.

2. I took a survey a month ago about what kind of surface does everyone's hedgehog prefer when sleeping, soft or hard. Seems more than half enjoy some sort of hard surface, such as the plastic bottom of the cage.

3. I think many hedgehogs enjoy the feeling of the liner covering them, and the fact that unlike fleece strips, the liner is large, they more or less can make their way deep under the liner for protection, while also having the embracing feeling of the liner on them.

So what I came up with is instead of an igloo, they both have a shoe box house. You take a regular shoe box or a rectangular box. You cut a 4 to 5 inch opening at one end on the LONG side of the box, not in the middle or on the smaller ends. Then you line the inside with fleece, not strips and pieces but chunks that are about the size of the box. You can also use strips but the larger pieces are important. Put it in the cage.

The fleece liner can be held down either by some heavy objects that a hedgehog cannot move, positioning their larger items like the wheel and house near the edges, and I personally use binder clips but I have a ferret nation setup, a sterlite bin will be harder to hold the liner down. But even so in my setup, there are still places they -could- get under the liner. But with the shoe box houses, they seem to have stopped.

Hester was the first to get an actual cardboard shoebox. The inside was lined with fleece along with fleece strips for her to move around. After a few days, she had actually moved the strips around to the point that the entrance to her house resembles an actual tunnel of fleece, and she sleeps at the other end away from the door. The floor had been lined with fleece but she has proceeded to more or less dig it up, and sleeps right on the cardboard.

Loki has a Sterlite Shoe Box, they are found in Walmart and of course meant to put shoes in, but its made out of plastic. The sides are blacked out with duct tape (if you search in Walmart you can find duct tape with patterns and colors now). Again the inside was fleece lined, but he wiggled his way under all of it and sleeps on the plastic floor, under all the fleece. Like Hester he tends to sleep at the other end away from the door, though I have found he tends to move around, sometimes he's right in the middle. I realized a fun fact today with Loki's house, and that is the bottom of the house isn't duct tape, thus when you pick it up and hold it above your head, you can see him sleeping (of course he wakes up from the light and movement).

So in the end I think some hedgehogs are just really picky about their sleeping areas, and would rather sleep on something hard rather than soft. So you might try my shoe box idea and see if it makes him stop liner diving, plus it'll go with my research. :D

So far I've only caught Hester sleeping under the liner once, and that was in this past week. I purchased some hedgie bags from Nikki, and of course she didn't sleep in it, but funny enough she was sleeping under the liner, under the bag. Loki is more presistant about sleeping under the liner and I catch him there from time to time, but I usually just let him be.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Puffers315 said:
I've done my own personal research into "Liner Diving" as I call it, and the reasons why hedgehogs do it. I know many do it during hot weather because the plastic in the bottom of the cage is cool feeling, but I knew my guys were doing it for a different reason. This is what I've basically concluded.

1. Some hedgehogs do not like the design of the igloo. This is because the entrance to the igloo is more or less in the middle of the whole structure, and I think their natural burrow typically has a tunnel entrance that leads to their den, thus when inside they are not in view of the doorway and predators.

2. I took a survey a month ago about what kind of surface does everyone's hedgehog prefer when sleeping, soft or hard. Seems more than half enjoy some sort of hard surface, such as the plastic bottom of the cage.

3. I think many hedgehogs enjoy the feeling of the liner covering them, and the fact that unlike fleece strips, the liner is large, they more or less can make their way deep under the liner for protection, while also having the embracing feeling of the liner on them.

So what I came up with is instead of an igloo, they both have a shoe box house. You take a regular shoe box or a rectangular box. You cut a 4 to 5 inch opening at one end on the LONG side of the box, not in the middle or on the smaller ends. Then you line the inside with fleece, not strips and pieces but chunks that are about the size of the box. You can also use strips but the larger pieces are important. Put it in the cage.

The fleece liner can be held down either by some heavy objects that a hedgehog cannot move, positioning their larger items like the wheel and house near the edges, and I personally use binder clips but I have a ferret nation setup, a sterlite bin will be harder to hold the liner down. But even so in my setup, there are still places they -could- get under the liner. But with the shoe box houses, they seem to have stopped.

Hester was the first to get an actual cardboard shoebox. The inside was lined with fleece along with fleece strips for her to move around. After a few days, she had actually moved the strips around to the point that the entrance to her house resembles an actual tunnel of fleece, and she sleeps at the other end away from the door. The floor had been lined with fleece but she has proceeded to more or less dig it up, and sleeps right on the cardboard.

Loki has a Sterlite Shoe Box, they are found in Walmart and of course meant to put shoes in, but its made out of plastic. The sides are blacked out with duct tape (if you search in Walmart you can find duct tape with patterns and colors now). Again the inside was fleece lined, but he wiggled his way under all of it and sleeps on the plastic floor, under all the fleece. Like Hester he tends to sleep at the other end away from the door, though I have found he tends to move around, sometimes he's right in the middle. I realized a fun fact today with Loki's house, and that is the bottom of the house isn't duct tape, thus when you pick it up and hold it above your head, you can see him sleeping (of course he wakes up from the light and movement).

So in the end I think some hedgehogs are just really picky about their sleeping areas, and would rather sleep on something hard rather than soft. So you might try my shoe box idea and see if it makes him stop liner diving, plus it'll go with my research. :D

So far I've only caught Hester sleeping under the liner once, and that was in this past week. I purchased some hedgie bags from Nikki, and of course she didn't sleep in it, but funny enough she was sleeping under the liner, under the bag. Loki is more presistant about sleeping under the liner and I catch him there from time to time, but I usually just let him be.
Thank you so much for that info. Gives me an excuse to buy new shoes :D I will have to give it a try

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Inky used to sleep under his liners as well. I now tuck the edges under the tray that is the bottom of his cage, and I recently added a tub lid underneath his igloo. The lid is solid and plastic just like the cage bottom, but doesn't require me to undo his whole cage to get him out. I still have his blankets in the igloo, there is just a lid underneath it for him to lay on. So far, he loves it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Puffers315, you may be on to something with your observation about the doorway of an igloo and about some hedgies liking the embracing feeling of fleece. Both my hedgies have fleece liners and never sleep under them but the inside of their igloo is lined with a fleece blanket folded in two. They both always move the blanket to block the door of the igloo and Zoé always sleeps in between the layers of the blankets.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It depends totally on the individual preferences of the hedgehog. When given options, some will not sleep in anything but a hedgie bag. For some, the hedgie bag has to be inside an igloo. Some prefer a blankie inside the igloo and others want a receiving blanket inside the igloo. Others, don't want an igloo at all.

Some prefer fleece as a liner preference, some prefer flannel, and some prefer bare plastic. Then there are those who have preferences based on the temperature of their cage. Some even have preferences based on the season even though their room is always kept around the same temperature.

For those that like sleeping under the liner, I say go for it. The only time I get annoyed is if they decide to potty under the liner. That makes for a messy hedgie. :lol:

I have found over the years that the hedgehogs are more likely to go under fleece than they are a properly made 3 layer thick liner. I've had ones who never went under their liner until I goofed and gave them just a piece of fleece.

Some hedgies really like the plastic so like Lizard mentioned, put something plastic inside the igloo. I've used dollar store melamine plates and that's solved the liner diving problem in some cases.

My Kei (RIP) was a die hard liner diver. She would drag her hedgie bag under her liner, over so the bag was underneath her igloo, and then would lay either inside her hedgie bag or under the whole bag. That gave a stack of Kei on cage floor, hedgie bag, liner, then igloo over top. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The frequent happenings and really funny or weird things I remember. Many things though, I remember someone or numerous someones that did it, but can't remember exactly who. If I think long enough I usually do remember. :lol:

Kei was so funny about it because she must have spent half the night dragging her bag out of the igloo and under the liner getting it positioned just right. After she'd done it many many times, I started putting the bag under the liner for her. :lol:

Many of them like a receiving blanket in their igloo. Some won't do anything much with the receiving blanket other than crawl under it. There are a few though that I can give them a receiving blanket folded into a very small square and they will spend the night unfolding the blanket and positioning it just right so there is a single thickness dome over top molded to the shape of the igloo and the rest is all scrunched in a circle around them. It must take most of the night to accomplish all that. :lol:

Brie's latest is to take her hedgie bag and set it cuff side down so the bottom of the bag is up in the air and she is underneath.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
I have one guy that has slept under his liner since the day I got him. Asher insists on it even though he has a 3 layer liner, igloo, hat, blanket and hedgie bag in his cage..he is always under his liner. I don't mind, as long as he's happy he can sleep there, I'm very lucky though that he never poops under there. The only mess I ever find on the bottom of the cage is tiny poopy foot tracks...>LOL

One of my girls...Soso always goes under her liner for the first night after her cage is cleaned but then she sleeps in her hedgie bag the next nights. Oddly enough both of these hedgies come from Deneen...LOL...I think she taught them that to drive me crazy...LOL

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I love the stories! :p Really like hearing about all the different personalities & quirks our hedgies have.
My 2 never get the chance to go under the liner. I must have read a thread before we got them about all the "under the liner" problems people have, because I have always cut my liner extra large & drape them over the bottom of the cage. The wire part of the cage sits on top of it & so it doesn't move & they can't get under it.
Curious what my guys would do if I had liners that fit the bottom of the cage - but, mind you, not curious enough to try it! Cholla makes enough of a mess already! :lol:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Same here, my next set of liners I make are going to be oversized so I can binder clip them to the bars of the cage, right now they're the exact size of the floor and leave no space to do so, though in Loki's cage the food side of the cage is pulled up and clipped cause he kept knocking the water dish over. Hester's cage its on the wheel side where her loft tunnel is, cause its kind of narrow, she likes to poop in that area, and it kept getting kind of mooshed in between the tray and cage wall.

As for my study, we had an interesting twist in the past week. Hester has been happy with her shoe box house for months now, not even tempted to liner dive. I bought a couple of hedgie bags from Nikki for Loki, but decided to put one in her cage, see maybe if she'd like it or anything. Next morning, she is asleep under the liner, under the empty hedgie bag.

I'm with Nancy on this though, if they want to sleep under the liner, its fine by me, until they start knocking water dishes over or indeed, use the bathroom. My only dislike was say Loki, come liner changing time, holy crap does he not like to be disturbed, no matter how gently you'd pull the liner back off him, he'd wake up huffy, see the bright lights and do this huffing while backing up really fast like "what the #@!#". Made me feel bad, but so far he has enjoyed his shoe box house.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Quigley recently has decided it's a good idea to sleep under his liner, under his flying saucer wheel. Makes for really loud wheel banging in the middle of the night (he's usually getting ready for bed around 3 or 4 in the morning. :roll:

When he does this I just get up and take the wheel out (I know he's done on it for the night) and then he goes to sleep. And I get to sleep too!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If they knock their dishes over, fold the liner back so it is not under the dishes. It's best to fold it at the side opposite the dishes because then sometimes if the fold is beside the dishes, they will figure out how to get the fold into the water bowl. :lol:

Another thing that works great is to go to the dollar store and buy a small plastic tray and put food and water bowls on the tray.

Usually, if the bowls are large enough they don't get tipped. I use low sided ceramic bowls about 1.5" deep by about 6" across and rarely do they get tipped or spilled. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts