Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
say u wanted to breed hedgies, would you need to get a USDA liscense in Saskatchewan? just sort of toying with the idea pros and cons, like the cost and knnowledge, but having an enriching experience once im all trained up and everything :) so since i edited this sorry if i was harsh or offensive or anything like that :oops:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I don't breed hedgies, but I think I can help with a couple things.

First of all, to responsibly breed hedgies you DO NOT MAKE ANY MONEY.

Second, you should have hedgies for a long time, and know all about them, and have a good relationship with your vet. If you have any questions, you aren't ready. You should know all about care, as well as have dealt with hedgie health issues before.

I'm assuming you're a kid, and that you're still in school. Will your parents pay for the vet bills when they come up? What about a $2,000 emergency surgery on a female having difficulties?

There is so much more to breeding than 1+1=4. There is no money to be made, and it's not easy. Moms cannibalize and things go wrong. I personally don't think you would be ready for all breeding entails.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Actually, I don't think that you really make a lot of profit off from breeding hedgehogs, not if you do it right, meaning keeping the animals' health first and foremost. And second, you shouldn't breed unless you've owned hedgehogs for awhile already. Breeding takes a lot of time, money, and knowledge, and a lot can go wrong with pregnancies. It's just not a good idea to breed, even just one time, unless you know what you're doing and you're prepared for any problems that could come up. I don't know if you absolutely need to have a USDA license to sell babies, but it's usually a good idea to have one. That way your customers would know that you are caring for the hedgehogs correctly and they are guaranteed to get healthy, happy, socialized babies. Not saying that you wouldn't be doing that without a license, but a license is most likely preferred.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Good breeders only breed to better the quality of the hedgehog blood lines. Any animals that are used for breeding should be pedigreed, which means there is a record you can use to trace their descent back several generations. This is so you can be sure you're breeding two hedgehogs from different bloodlines and that they are not at all related. Doing otherwise can result in inbreeding, which gradually weakens immune systems and causes many different problems with babies down the line and their babies, causing sickly hedgehogs prone to illnesses of all kinds. Seen any mammoths around lately, or any tasmanian tigers? Recent studies are saying they both sealed their fate and met extinction in the end because of inbreeding. It's not good practice, and means bad things for the future of our hedgies. A good breeder understands that, and that is the reason they're putting the time and effort into breeding.

Never once should monetary gain come into the equation, because there likely will be no monetary gain--you may lose thousands on vet care. Worse yet, you may lose the mother of the babies. Are you prepared to deal with that? And are you prepared to accept it if she decides to eat the babies? Even the most experienced breeders still have things like that happen sometimes. And then what if the babies come down with infections and all need vet care immediately? It's a time-consuming, money-consuming experience, and it should only be done in an effort to better the hedgehog bloodlines out there.

I believe you still have to have a license in Canada, although it wouldn't be a USDA license. Some of the Canadian breeders would know more about that. But it shouldn't even be an issue for you at this point because you shouldn't be breeding yet. When you're a little older, have owned a few hedgehogs/gotten some experience, and are financially able to support breeding, it might be an option for you then; now it would be an irresponsible act on your part and I hope you'll think twice before seriously considering it.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I don't know how you can say you love hedgehogs when you don't even own one yet.

As mentioned already, breeding rarely makes money and one vet bill can take multiple successful litters to make back. If your first breeding has problems, you could be dishing out hundreds or over a thousand dollars.

To become a "good" breeder, you have to know hedgehogs which means owning them for at least a year or two first and learning everything possible about them. Learning means hands on, not from reading.

The initial outlay is expensive. You will need a breeding quality pair which means you will probably have to travel to get them. You'll need two cages, 2 wheels, dishes, beds etc. You'll also need to ensure you have access to around $1000 in case of complications with the pregnancy. If you don't have the money for the vet, the alternative is death to the female.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Being confrontational, disrespectful and sarcastic is no way to get answers....and if you would read closely you would see that your question had been answered. I have taken the liberty to cut and paste the answer so it will be in a nice yellow box for you so maybe you can see it this time. It is immaturity like you displayed in your post that has elicited the negative responses about breeding.

Zalea said:
I believe you still have to have a license in Canada, although it wouldn't be a USDA license. Some of the Canadian breeders would know more about that. But it shouldn't even be an issue for you at this point because you shouldn't be breeding yet. When you're a little older, have owned a few hedgehogs/gotten some experience, and are financially able to support breeding, it might be an option for you then; now it would be an irresponsible act on your part and I hope you'll think twice before seriously considering it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Kean said:
second of all i said i was thinking of it
That's exactly why you got the responses you did. No one here was trying to offend you. We were all trying to explain what commitment and time hedgehog breeders have to put into breeding so you can make an educated decision about what you want to do in the future. The fact that you're thinking of it means that you're considering it, and that you should be totally aware of all the complications that can result before you consider any further.

Kean said:
third of all alot of ppl say they like hedgies and they dont own one yet
A lot of people like/love hedgies, but can't keep them. Just one example: If you haven't owned one, you won't know if you're allergic. Some people get rashes from them; some people can't breathe around them, especially at night. This is something that you would have to know before you could seriously consider breeding. Some people have to find new homes for their hedgies because they're just too allergic to handle them, even if they have few other allergies.

I'm pretty sure you need a license in Canada, as it is illegal to own them in some provinces. Like I said before, that shouldn't be an issue now though. First get a hedgehog, get some experience with that one, and see how it goes from there. If in the future you still want to breed, you can find out more about licensing then, but for now it shouldn't cross your mind as more than a passing thought.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Don't take all the responses the wrong way. They're all just trying to enlighten upon you the negative or "darker side" to breeding. It's just that in your initial post, you seem very "carefree" about breeding, when you're really and literally, holding another living being's life in your hands.

It's great that you love hedgehogs this much, and it's probably something you want to do in the future...When you're done school, working, and can afford all of it.

I know nothing of hedgehog breeding, other than what I have read here, but, on the topic of breeding, I have been thinking of breeding my horse. However, that is something that may or may not happen, and it definately won't happen unless I am out of school and can guarantee I can take care of her and her baby, no matter what happens. I've done years of research on it already, as well as looking for a compatible stallion for her. But, I am not planning on doing anything anytime soon. If anything, I'll probably end up going to some auctions or look into adopting a baby if I really wanted one, and she can have her own adoptive baby :lol: (She desperately desires her own, she's tried her hardest to make friends with other foals).

I am not against breeding quality animals. It's almost a code for breeders...To breed only to better the breed, healthier, stronger, loveable. Take what has been written and learn from it. There has been some very good advice given here, and to know how much you need to plan and save before even attempting breeding.

There are just so many "backyard" breeders out there, for many breeds of animals. Those who lack the proper knowledge, even common sense to be breeding. They are the ones who make everyone touchy about the subject of breeding. So educate yourself and don't be one of those. ^_^

Take all the time in the world to learn it all. You have lots and lots of time to think about breeding. And sometimes, no matter how much you learn, something new can still suprise you, which is why you need the basic knowledge and common sense to try to deal with every new suprise. I'm pretty sure everyone here has some sort of horror story on something happening that they have no idea what to do, but try their best to deal with it until veterinary care can be given. I know I've had my fair share of suprises, some with good endings, some with not so happy endings.

And I am rambling. Just know that no matter what you plan to do, think first of the well being of the animal, who cannot voice their opinion, who cannot tell you how much pain they are in, and where it hurts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just to let anyone in Canada interested in owning hedgehogs.

In Canada most of the information I have been able to find (courtesy of John
Ofner) is that hedgehogs are permitted in all provinces. Until recently, they
were not permitted in Quebec, but thanks to Michael Simla, for passing along
the following response he received after looking into the matter, it's now
clear that they allowed:

``since November 14th, 2002, it is allowed to keep hedgehogs in captivity
in Quebec, except the ones from Europe because of the risk of accidental
introduction in Quebec's nature.''

There had been conflicting reports that hedgehogs are illegal in the province
of Alberta, but it appears that this is now something for the history books.
At the very least, there are an abundance of breeders there.

Courtesy of Linda Wheatley, I finally have accurate information on the status
of hedgehogs in the province of Alberta:

Hedgehogs are legal in Alberta but our Fish and Wildlife people are still
requiring us to have a temporary shelter permit. Some Fish & Wildlife
offices are telling people that it is not necessary to get them and some
are saying it is necessary.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I think the facts you have found are rather outdated. Permits are not required in Alberta. There are also very few good breeders in Alberta at the moment. Most have retired.

Hedgehogs have been legal in Quebec for at least 5 years because I have bought hedgehogs from people in Quebec for that long.

At the moment they are illegal in Ottawa although the rule is not enforced for ownership as long as they are purchased outside of Ottawa. :)

I can't think of any place in Canada where a license is required except possibly some municipalities might require a business license to breed. Maybe Bryan can add to this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts