Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: This is only a partial list and just because something is not mentioned on this list, does not mean it is safe.

Grapes - are toxic to most small animals including hedgehogs. They cause renal, liver and organ failure.
Raisins - are not only toxic but can get caught in the roofs of their mouths.

Tea Tree oil - this includes, tea tree shampoo, tea trea oil, tea tree sprays and anything tea tree. This can be fatal in as little as one dose or application. It causes renal, liver and complete organ failure.

Avocados - Many people feel avocados are toxic, others feel they are safe. Personally, I would not risk it.

Ivermectin - Injected ivermectin has been the cause of many hedgehog deaths yet it has also been widely used on many hedgehogs with no problem. When a safe alternative is available, Revolution, it is simply not worth the risk to use ivermectin.
Topical and oral ivermectin has been linked to an increased risk of bladder cancers.

Nuts & seeds - can get caught in the roofs of their mouth and there is a risk of them digging an eye out will trying to claw out the nut. Nuts are fattening and provide minimal nutritional benefit.

Chocolate

Milk, dairy products - hedgehogs are lactose intolerant and cannot digest dairy. Leads to upset stomach and diarrhea.

Junk food of all types - for the same reasons it is unhealthy for humans

Ethoxyquin
BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole)
BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene) -"Toxic" may not be the right word here, but the following artificial preservatives in pet food are suspected to cause serious health issues in animals including cancer, kidney disease, birth defects, liver disease, and so on. Read the labels on the food and avoid them if the products contain any of the followings:

Polysporin and Neosporin Pain Relief or Extra Strength - Regular original Polysporin is safe to use. Any other formulas are toxic.

Toxic plants http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/
__________________
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Thanks for the list Nancy, I was not aware grapes could kill them :( Will definitely keep them away from my little guy who is curious enough to try anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere about hedgies being allergic to certain types of wood, and/or having sensitivity to sap/odor from certain wood (i.e. it causing respiratory distress). I remember cedar being one of them, and the previous owner told me that Whiffle is allergic to Aspen (darn!), but are there other types of wood that I need to avoid?

One of my reasons for immediate concern is that I bought a piece of composite board (basically sawdust and glue mashed together really firmly) to modify her cage. I'd be using it in place of one wall, but only about the panline (which is roughly 4" off the floor). Does this sound hazardous at all, from an allergy and/or respiratory distress standpoint?? :? I'd like to hear from some experts ;) before I start cutting the board, if possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Wow, I was very un-aware about grapes as well.
I feed them to my sugar gliders too! I have seen that many gliders love them, Including mine.

But from now on, Grapes will be to the absolute minimum for the gliders and none for my hedgie babies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,716 Posts
If they are those little sugar treats then they are no good for hedgies. I've heard other ppl say too that there is no need for any animal to eat those as its pretty much just refined sugar. Cottage cheese is a healthy dairy snack that can be given in very small moderation, you won't want to overdue it with this but can be given in very small amounts once in awhile :) I have heard of some ppl also giving very small amounts of plain yogurt on occation and this can add good bacteria to their systems as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Hedgieonboard said:
If they are those little sugar treats then they are no good for hedgies. I've heard other ppl say too that there is no need for any animal to eat those as its pretty much just refined sugar. Cottage cheese is a healthy dairy snack that can be given in very small moderation, you won't want to overdue it with this but can be given in very small amounts once in awhile :) I have heard of some ppl also giving very small amounts of plain yogurt on occation and this can add good bacteria to their systems as well.
This is a link to the yogies I have

http://www.petco.com/product/10301/8-in ... SiteSearch

I will get rid of them immediately if its going to cause him problems! I thought I read somewhere that they could "help" with digestion. Or maybe that is just plain yogurt...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
nikki said:
if you look at the ingredients in those the first thing is sugar...so they're crap... its regular human grade plain yogurt that can help with digestion.
Guess I will be getting rid of them in that case :D

...unless they taste yummy to me ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
What about blueberries? They seem like a good size for a treat, but will the skin of it be a problem or anything? Haven't given any treats yet, but was just wondering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Clémentine loves blueberries. I take a big one and cut a slice of it without touching the center where the seeds are and cut it in very small pieces. I leave the skin on but the pieces are very small so it's not a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Olympia said:
Clémentine loves blueberries. I take a big one and cut a slice of it without touching the center where the seeds are and cut it in very small pieces. I leave the skin on but the pieces are very small so it's not a problem.
Just watch out for the resulting blue hedgie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
the hedgehog food i bought has rasins in it? i just went and removed them from his dish, but should i just go ahead and remove all of them from the bag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
korrinabreal said:
the hedgehog food i bought has rasins in it? i just went and removed them from his dish, but should i just go ahead and remove all of them from the bag?
What is the food?
I would remove them all now, but that may be just me. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
oooh must have missed this post, its great i have added it to the uk site, hope you dont mind? x
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,486 Posts
Yes remove all the raisins and any other dry fruit that might be in it. What kind of food is it? It sounds like its a "hedgehog food" from a petstore? if so you should look into slowly changing your baby over to a high quality, low-fat, corn-free dry cat food.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top