Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're almost on week 3 of Baytril and finishing the 1st week with Biomox for a supposed URI.
She's just fluctuating so much I don't know if it's a good thing or not. One night her nose will look completely healthy, not runny, and then she will have hardly eaten. Another night her nose is runny again, she will eat this time. Then her nose looks fine, she eats, but I'm not positive she ran last night because the wheel wasn't dirty. (Sometime she's neat, sometimes she's not).
This is so frustrating. Everything just can't look better all at once. :cry:
If the antibiotics aren't killing this... what else could it be?
I've gotten an OK look at the inside of her mouth and I don't see any teeth missing or a tumor and there definitely aren't any external signs of one.
Do I just need to worry after we've done the complete antibiotic dosage? I'm thinking the Biomox might be helping, her appetite has gone up since I've been giving it to her.
I'm so so exhausted/frustrated/ sad. I would do almost anything to get her well again.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,616 Posts
Have you updated your vet on what is happening? If not, call your vet and tell him what is going on. Sometimes if there isn't enough improvement a vet will decide to change the treatment.

If the antibiotics aren't killing this... what else could it be?
It could be an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria. Ask doc about this possibility. A culture and sensitivity test could be performed. Doc will take a sample of the discharge, they will culture it to determine if it is bacterial. If it is bacterial they will also know the exact type (for example staph). Then a sensitivity test will be performed on that sample. A sensitivity test will determine what medications will kill the bacteria. They test many and will know exactly which ones work the best.

Baytril is good at killing a lot of bacteria, but their are resistant strains.

Just something else for you to discuss with your vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I went to the vet last Thursday again and he thought perhaps Baytril wasn't killing whatever strand of bacteria is causing the URI so he prescribed Biomox as well. He said to call if it isn't better by the end of this round and we'd do something to find out for sure what was wrong.
If I have to go back, I will most definitely ask about a culture and sensitivity. The vet and I are both hesitant to use anesthesia to help diagnose her problem, but that's what he thinks we'll have to do next. I prefer the idea of the culture and sensitivity. Thanks for the advice.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,616 Posts
If she has a runny nose, he shouldn't have to use anesthesia to get a sample for the test. That is the great thing about C&S tests, if there is a discharge, they can swab the discharge and use it to grow the culture.

We ran into an antibiotic resistant strain a few years ago. We went through 2 antibiotics and then decided to do the C&S. Good thing we did as there was only really 1 antibiotic that killed the bacteria and it was an injection only type that doc would not have normally tried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like a great idea. Go figure my luck she would get the one bacteria that has to be killed with a specific antibiotic. It's good to know you've been through a similar situation. This time next week if things aren't looking better (maybe the biomox will
help) I will call and specifically ask to do that. Is it really expensive? These vet visits are adding up.... :-/ not that I won't pay, of course, don't get me wrong :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,616 Posts
I can't remember at the moment how much I paid last time. I think it varies a lot depending on what lab they are sending the test to or if they are doing it in house. My vet offers to do them in house or send them out. The in-house was cheaper, but if I remember right he said it was "less accurate." We did both once and the same results came back, except the one that was sent out came back much later.

We figured the cost of the test was well worth it if it told us a definite answer of what bacteria and what would kill it. Plus it saved my hedgehog a lot of suffering while we kept testing different drugs to see if it would work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I completely agree that it would be worth it for a definitive answer and solution. I feel terrible bothering her all the time to give her antibiotics and syringe feed her. Thanks so much for the advice. If things don't start looking better I will get a C & S done.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top