Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let me start by giving you an overview of Regina's poop history.

A number of months ago, Regina started showing blood and mucus in her poo. Vet visit found clostridium in her intestine. She was on antibiotics, which would clear it up for a while, but it would come back, so more antibiotics, etc... After a bit of this, we sent out a sample to a lab for some more extensive tests, which came back with only clostridium. This cycle has been happening for a while now.

I brought her to the vet about a week and a half ago for a few reasons: 1. a yearly checkup; 2. she had fallen; 3. not wheeling; 4. blood and mucus showing up. I had the vet look at samples of her poop and pee. The pee was normal, the poop had clostridium. She is now on antibiotics again. She has been on them for about 9 days, and I have seen a little less blood, but no change in mucus. Sometimes her poop is green-tinted. Occasionally, I have found green (like hunter green) in either the poop or mucus. It seems like sometimes she has little... I don't know what word best describes it... I guess, "nuggets" of mucus. Like, they seem harder and more congealed and in the poo. Sometimes they are grey-ish, sometimes grey-green, sometimes mucus colored. And randomly, I'll find JUST mucus. Like, imagine if you blew your nose on a tissue and it was pretty clear.

I don't know what to make of all this. The vet has run tests, we're trying medicine, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Has anyone had any experience with something even remotely like this? Could it perhaps be a reproductive issue? I know someone--I think it was Rivoli--had mentioned a possible liver problem. I talked to the vet about this, but she said if it was a liver problem it would probably show up in the urine (and she didn't see anything).

Regina is a year and 4 months old, her skin is fine, her eating and drinking his good, although her pee has been pretty yellow lately, she has not been pooping on her paper towel--instead she has been liner diving and pooping on the coroplast under the liner. She eats a 50/50 mix of Innova and Green Pea and Duck. She only drinks Poland Spring Bottled Water. She gets crickets as treats.

I don't know what to do. I mean, she's always eager to eat and the vet found nothing wrong with her physically other than the clostridium. I want her to get better. I don't mind spending the money for all these tests and medicines, but I want to know that they're actually DOING something. What else can I do?

·
Registered
666 Posts
can't really offer much advice on this subject as i'm not real familiar with it, but it really sounds frustrating so just wanted to say good luck and hope your little one gets feeling better soon.

G

·
Its hard to say until Regina is off meds to see how her stool is at norm without any medicine running through her digestive system I think. I can imagine how frustrating it can be our little quilled ones are so fragile sometimes

·
Registered
396 Posts
have you tried adding probiotics like BeneBac &/or Animal Essentials Ezymes/Probiotics to her diet to help out?

some hedgies seem to be very prone to GI infections once they get one. i have 2 like that. even though i am extra careful with cleaning & all that good stuff, they just seem to harbor extra & WHAM! there is an infection.

probiotics do seem to help though.

feel free to PM me for more info on what i do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This may sound dumb but I'll say it anyways lol. If you were describing those symptoms in a human it sounds like hemorrhoids, they make peoples stool bloody and they secret a mucus which sometimes takes on the color of the stool and other times its clear, and sometimes only mucus comes out. I don't know if hedgies can get these but maybe ask your vet, because that's exactly what it sounds like to me! Sorry if I'm wrong:p And in case you don't know what they are here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemorrhoid ... d_symptoms.

·
Administrator
3,635 Posts
How often is your vet examining her stool?

I had one that had bloody stool off and on. We started her on antibiotics and she would get better. She'd come off and they would get bloody again. We started submitting stool samples regularly. I'd collect a sample from the am and pm and send both to the vet. Usually all he could see was blood and occasionally bacteria. Eventually we found abnormal cells. Her bacterial infections were being caused by colon cancer.

I've been told that hedgehogs do not get hemorrhoids. If there is bloody stool there is something else causing it. If there are chronic infections, the infections are a secondary problem, there is something underlying causing them.

One additional thought. If your vet is not finding anything else wrong, have you discussed the possibility that something in her diet doesn't work for her and is causing inflammatory bowel disease?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vet first examined her stool in April, and sent a sample to the lab for more extensive testing... And then she just recently examined it last week. I will PM you for more info on the possibility of colon cancer and frequent testing.

This morning I noticed around her anus looked a little red--maybe she does have inflammatory bowel disease and a food switch is necessary. Would switching to a more raw, holistic diet be a good idea? Like, veggies and chicken?

I want to do whatever I can to help her get better. I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions.

·
Administrator
3,635 Posts
I'd discuss the possibility of IBD with your vet further and ask his recommendations on what to do dietary wise. I don't recall what your diet plan is, but a vet may recommend a limited ingredient type of kibble to reduce the number of ingredients that are known to cause irritation.

Do some searches on here, I think I recall a couple of hedgehogs having a limited diet due to IBD before. You may need to visit the old archive forum if you cannot find any on this one.

RE colon cancer, for frequency, I can post it here. I don't recall how many we sent before we found the abnormal cells as this was over 7 years ago. But I sent samples in every time we tried something new. I think at one point I was sending them in weekly. These were not tests that were being sent away, just routine fecal floats done in house. Treatment for her was completely palliative. Removal of the tumor was not an option. As the cancer progressed, she had no control over her bowels. I don't recall what we gave her, but we did get the mucous and blood under control though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts