Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is approaching soon, and I got my hands on a CHE... But not with a thermostat yet. I was thinking of getting it online, but I wanted to check out the local stores first. Are there alternatives? I have a 150W emitter, and I definitely don't want to bake little Wonton, haha.

My boyfriend suggested getting a timer, and maybe have it turn on every once in a while. I do have a thermometer in her cage, so keeping track of the temperature will not be too great of a concern. However, I am a little bit worried about temperature fluctuations.

Again, are there other alternatives? Will Wonton be smart enough to simply move out of the way to a cooler area of the cage if she is getting too warm?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would not use a CHE without a thermostat. Full stop.

I think that a lot of people use the Zoo Med ReptiTemp 500R

Because I need more capacity, I use the Zilla #11939 (1,000 watt; three plugins)

Don't accidentally get a rheostat.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think the thermostat is definitely the best bet, I have the Zilla as well from Amazon and it makes my life so much easier!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think you definatly need a thermostat I don't think anything else will be effective when controlling the temp of a CHE I have a Zillia one and it works great.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
In BC, I have not yet found a thermostat available in stores. However, Pet & Pond ships from this side of the border, so no customs/etc. They have the ZooMed & Zilla 500W (which is just fine for most normal systems), as well as the higher wattage ones (if you have a mega huge system of heating)

The whole point of a thermostat is to regulate fluctuations in temperature -- someone leaving a door open, your mum flipping off the house heating, whatever. A timer doesn't do those things.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thermostat it is! Haha, thanks for the input guys. I'll invest on a good thermostat. And yes, I haven't been getting much luck finding a thermostat from any of the pet stores here. I even tried looking into the American pet stores and they don't seem to carry it.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts