Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got him a wheel, and before everyone start bombarding me with questions like last time, YUS it is plastic, not metal, there is no where for his feet to get caught, stop making me feel bad.. :(

But yea, I got my Sniffles and wheel, and... well... he wont use it? o.o

I don't get it. I tried putting him on it and everything.

Any suggestions would be nice, and very much so appreciated. thank you! :]

~Emily & Sniffles<3

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GAH with the questionss!!! >.<

Okay, Erm... my bf got it for him, it is a -looks for the cardboard thingyy- ermm Silent Spinner, one of the large ones. I've seen alot of people with them. >.<

Erm.. it's been in the cage about 2 weeks,

And.. I don't know... o.o

I know I have to trim them at some point but I don't know when, or how, and considering he is about 7 months old, and was in a pet store for 6 of those months.. I doubt they have ever been trimmed. >.<

·
Registered
259 Posts
Emily said:
I got him a wheel, and before everyone start bombarding me with questions like last time, YUS it is plastic, not metal, there is no where for his feet to get caught, stop making me feel bad.. :(

Not sure where anyone bombarded you with questions as I don't see anything like that on any of your posts. But I had to add that if people don't ask you questions, how are they going to be able to properly help you? ;) Yes, another question, but a hypothetical one so you'll be fine. :D

Larry has legitimate questions and, as a breeder very familiar with hedgies, his advice could really help you.

For starters, the Silent Spinner is not a recommended wheel because of the slit down the center. I know that some people have used duct tape around the inside to cover that "crack" so if you do that maybe the wheel will be safe for him.

As far as cutting his nails, I noticed that my hedgie won't run as much (or as fast) when her nails are a little long. I think they really do get in the way. There are quite a few threads on here about how to cut them and I think that'd be a great starting point. After a bath seems to be very popular and that's how I do mine as well. I use nail scissors and even though she squirms when I hold her feet it's not bad at all. Usually the back nails grow faster than the front ones and I think I've only cut her front ones 1 time since I've got her in November.

Also, if he's never used a wheel before then he may not know what to do with it! :lol: I've heard that some people have coaxed their hedgies onto the wheel with mealworms (or use his favorite treat) just to get them used to it at first. Also, are you positive that he's not using it? They are nocturnal so chances are that he'd use it overnight, but if his wheel isn't poopy in the morning, he either isn't using it or he's a wonderful hedgie for not pooping on the wheel! :D

I saw that he's now using his litter box so that's a great sign that he may catch on to the idea of a wheel as well! Do you have your litter box under the wheel? Even just doing that (if you haven't already) could pique his interest and while he's using the litter box he may want to investigate the wheel.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
There will always be questions :lol: It helps us determine what may be wrong. ^_^ Don't take it to heart, just know that we're all just here trying to help.

Silent Spinners are dangerous wheels. Nails can get caught in the slit down the middle, and the wheel have been known to come apart and fall on unsuspecting wheelers. Also, the curvature of the entrance deters many hedgies from even entering.

As for nails, definitely need clipping. Long nails will deter running on wheels as well. Their back nails are the worse, as they grow like weeds. My boy usually needs his done every 2 weeks or so.

If you do a search(located upper right corner) for nail trimming or nail clipping, many threads will come up with different ways people use to clip nails. LG has posted pictures of nails as well in some of those threads. And others have pictures of them actually clipping the nails.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
We can only properly answer your questions if we are given all the information. If you don't give it, then we have to ask.

If he has a Silent Spinner then there are places his toes and toenails can get caught in the seam around the middle and the ventilation slits. As Immortalia mentioned, Silent Spinners also tip over easily and can injure the hedgehog. The nuts front and back loosen and cause the wheel to fall off the frame or the cage.

Sometimes it can take days, weeks or even months for a hedgehog to figure out a wheel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yay! Help! :]

Okay, so, as soon as I can, I will buy him a new wheel. For now though, this is gonna have to work until I get back on the 26th. Ermm... I got some thin cardboard, and I taped it all along the inside of the wheel, incase he does decided to use it.

I tohught at first he wasn't using it maybe because it was up his tube and onto the second platform in his cage, but, he goes up it all the time, looks at the wheel, and goes back down. I will try putting him on it more, ermm, the treat thing, and even the funny sounding litter box thing if all else fails. XD

I want what's best for my Sniffles, but, I'm kinda scared about the nail thing, I'll do my research. XD

Thanks Everyone. <3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts