Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got Spiff, my Algerian Snowflake, three days ago and he is still rather anti-social. He hasn't used his wheel yet and ignores the toys I put for him in his cage and run. I figured that since he is just a baby, and it is his first week here, he would be a little hesitant, but I'm not sure. Should he be using his wheel by now?

·
Registered
126 Posts
where did you get him from?

when i got my boy, hector, he didn't know what a wheel was, i taught him what it was by placing him on his wheel whenever i would put him back in his cage so that he learned it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
his wheel MUST be in his cage at all times...most hedgies are shy runners and only wheel at night when no one is looking. If the cage is not big enough for the wheel then it is not big enough for the hedgie. Hedgies are nocturnal so 99% of their activities take place in the dark. Without access to his wheel he could become obese rather quickly since this is his main form of exercise.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You definitely need it in his cage. Hector lives in my bedroom and he won't run on his wheel until he thinks that I am not moving anymore. Even slightly disrupting the blankets and making noise will send him back to his tent and being inactive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts